'78 advice for a potential new rider

SingeDebile

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I currently ride a '75 honda 550f but after seeing an xs650 in the flesh more then a few times and reading this old review http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_xs650 77.htm

I am seriously considering to get one... then this one came up on the local craigslist
3k33ob3p45T15Q55W3b3fe3169341b78f1ac8.jpg

my question is what changes were made between '76 to '78, the only reason I ask is it seems the bike changed quite a bit before and after. How similiar is the '78 to this ideal bike that is described in the article? suspension/handling/brakes etc..

sorry for this being such a broad question but after some searching etc.. I need to figure out soon weather or not to act on this or if I should keep looking. Thankyou for the help!

Nice looking bike, I'd jump on it if the price is right. As far as changes they are mostly cosmetic I believe. The brakes only got better as time went on. The suspension on every XS needs help. Every XS needs the plastic swingarm bushing replaced with brass ones, and the steering head bearing replace. These were the 2 biggest handling problems.
The 78 probably had BS38 linked carbs which are a little better than the earlier ones (someone may correct me on this).
Parts on most XSs are interchangeable, and it's not unusual to find parts of other years on bikes. The 2 models with the most differences are the special and the standard. Both the bike in the article and the pic are standards which means there won't be much difference.

Read This, The US models did not put dual front disks on their bikes. The 78 Standard was the same as the 77 Standard except the carbs are slightly different

A 78 Standard is a very desirable model, IMHO best kept as close to stock as you can. Especially if the miles are low. If the price is right and and it runs good grab it you won't regret it. By the way the forks were improved for the 77 model year (went from 34mm to 35mm) and the brakes were also changed, and the forks were improved slightly again in 78. The engine still has the points ignition.

A 78 Standard is a very desirable model, IMHO best kept as close to stock as you can. Especially if the miles are low. If the price is right and and it runs good grab it you won't regret it. By the way the forks were improved for the 77 model year (went from 34mm to 35mm) and the brakes were also changed, and the forks were improved slightly again in 78. The engine still has the points ignition.
The "78" standard is a very desirable model and should be chopped up at every chance, the more mods to it the better:smoke: P.S. This is Gary right now reading this > :cussing: Me >:laughing: Kidding aside because someone will take me serious the "78" is rare and is one of the best (if not the best) year to have in stock trim :thumbsup:

anything in particular I should check for that might not be obvious? also how should I check to see its charging well?

Charging: The quicky is a bright headlight that get's a bit brighter when you rev it. turn signals that flash at idle is a good sign. otherwise a voltmeter. Listen for cam chain slap or tick specially at idle or while kicking it over with the kill switch off. Rust in the tank front brakes mushy, notchy steering bearings, loose swing arm. Oil in the ends of the mufflers. Matching engine and frame number, Engine number is behind the right front engine mount on an up and down pad not easy to see. Electric and kick start both work? Compression by foot feel or a gauge. Air filters in place and in good condition. rust? No real sneaky gotchas on the XS650 just the usual old bike stuff. head gasket leaks?

just got a possible offer on a guy looking for a four cylinder that has an '82 standard, any reason I should still be looking to buy the '78 over an '82? I guess I didnt mention but I was going to try and sell my honda for the XS

I would seriously consider the '78 for all the reasons mentioned and the green color is rare. I've never actually seen one, only pics. The guy with the '82 is pulling your leg. Last Standard model was made in '79. Now ..... if you could find one of those - they're even rarer than the '78s.

You mean having a 79 standard is a GOOD thing? wink.
What are your plans for the bike? If you are going the restoration route the 78 is currently in vogue and will probably be the more valuable bike long term. An 82 in the US would be a Heritage special. A style I like but it is not universally loved..... And of the two years of heritage specials 82 and 83 the 83 is probably the better piece. They put a LOT of black on the 82 and put some chrome back on the 83's. Finally title dates mean little, the VIN determines model year not some date arbitrarily put on the title by a state worker.

Back