79 Special 2 Gas Cap Help

kbregler

XS650 Member
Reaction score
First, I would like to thank everyone on this forum, I have had my XS650 for about a year now and have been slowly fixing it up. I am to the point where everything runs well and mechanically it is 99% done. I decided to redo the gas tank including painting and cleaning the inside out more than just flushing with new gas.

I have run into my first problem that I can't find a definitive answer for anywhere, been searching for hours.

First, for some reason the spring on the latch broke, had been working fine. Does anyone know where to go to possibly get a new one? I haven't removed it yet, I was going to measure it and just start looking for one everywhere.

Second, I purchased a new seal off of Mikes, a while ago when I purchased a few other items knowing I was eventually going to need it. I have not put it on yet and that looks like its a good thing from what I can find about the quality of the rubber products. The parts diagrams don't show a PN for the seal for the 79, I see them for the later years, are they the same?

Finally, in a panic, like an idiot, before I researched it, and at 1 AM after about 10 beers I decided to start taking the cap apart and figure out how the seal is on. I started backwards and took the 3 screws out...got everything apart, and somewhat back together, but I didn't pay attention to the order of the items. Everything just kind of fell out. I still have the little washer with the hole in it, the filter is MIA. the way I have it now is the washer is all the way at the top and I am assuming the filter goes under that, then the large black disc, then the bottom plate. Of course all of this may not even matter if I cant find a spring and have to just buy a used cap and just swap the locks. I am guessing buying one from Mikes is not a good idea.....

Thanks for the help (Much more than just now, for a year and I just finally registered :) )

Welcome aboard. When the after affects of 10 beers wear off You'll be fine LOL.
Yes good used is prolly better than the chincon repo.
I've done pretty well with the mikes rubber seals but that is not the common opinion here...........
The overhaul is a PITA. It's tricky to get the spring pushed back in place.

Thanks, I was able to get the seal off and the old one back on by not even removing it from the arm....doesn't mean I will with the new one.
I guess I will start looking for springs and on ebay for a used one if I cant figure it out as well as the order of the reassembly if I can fix this one.

The seal is available OEM. Any Special parts breakdown that shows the seal will do. XS650, XS1100 and in between are all the same. 1978 to 1983 all the same. While you’re in there, replace the filter. If you don’t, you’ll run out of gas trying to go anywhere. You’re going to have to manufacture one. I used a very small bit of fine Scotch Brite.

Jetmechmarty,

Thank you. I had read on a post somewhere here to use the scotch bright, that's what I planned on doing. When I looked at the parts breakdown for the 79 S2 (partzilla) it showed the part number for the whole latch but not the individual seal.. I did see it on the picture on an 81 I believe, but this time I see the PN of the latch is the same, so I should have realized the seal was the same.

Does the washer with the hole in it go all the way to the top with the filter right below it? I didn't pay attention when everything fell out.
I will be taking the spring out tonight and measuring to see if I can find any online somewhere that will be close enough to work so it will actually close. The rest of the lid looks almost brand new, don't know why the spring just snapped....

You should figure out how it all goes during assembly. The cap has to vent. Do it wrong and the tiny vent holes are plugged. That’s not good.

Back