A day of freebies! (KZ250)

scott s

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
My Dad's neighbor is remodeling his kitchen and he GAVE me all of his old oak-framed cabinets for my garage. Sweeet!
Well, while we were unloading the cabinets, Dad gets a phone call from a friend of his. He's at a local diner and a guy there is hauling some stuff to the dump. In the back is this FREE KZ250.

Of course, there's no title, but if this little thing is worth messing with, that can be overcome (any of you guys in non-title states listening...hint, hint?). The motor is stuck, but I'm soaking it with PB Blaster. I really haven't messed with it.
What do you guys know about these little bikes? Are they rugged? Easy to work on? Parts availability?

I already have a stock '75 XS650 and a '71 CB500. I was thinking, if I can get a title, that I could sell a couple of XS650 projects I have and build a bare bones cafe out of this thing. Minimal wiring, head/brake light only, clip-ons, no fenders, etc. It should be cheap to insure and fun for blasting around town.

Or, I could just throw it on Craigslist for $50 and get it out of my garage.
Opinions?

PC040004Medium.jpg

Looks like a great little cafe racer platform to me!....If ya can get it unlocked and title issues worked out. Love the drum front brake.
The way the rear loop is on the frame it coold make a cool tracker too...

There's always a lot of exuberance when you get something new by surprise. Ask yourself if this is the bike you'd have chosen from your available choices to do what you want to do with it.

Last edited:
Back