Advice on frame painting

poorman9

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've got my frame all striped down and I was originally planning on powered coating, but the cheapest I've been able to find in town is around $200. I know, I know, it's totally worth it and powder coating is the best thing ever.

Before I spend the cash, I'd like to consider painting if -
1. I knew it wouldn't start chipping within a season or two
2. It didn't look terrible, (I'm not really going for the rat-rod look).
3. I could do it all with a rattle can.

So far I've found a few different options that I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with -

Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black
Dupli-Color Engine Enamel with Ceramic
VHT Epoxy All Weather Paint or Winkle Plus
Also, POR15 I've heard a lot about, but I haven't seen any examples of it that look nice. I've got a motorcycle frame, not a truck bed.

Thanks guys, if you've got any pictures, that's help a lot too.

Use some Appliance Enamel from Rustoleum. Just about the closest thing to powdercoat that I've found come from a rattle can. Its tough, shiny, sprays nice and even. I've done 4 frames with it already.

Eastwoods chassis black aerosol is amazing as far as aerosols go....kinda spendy and it is paint so it will chip, just not ad easily as hardware store rattle can stuff. Appliance enamel sounds like its worth a shot?

Use some Appliance Enamel from Rustoleum. Just about the closest thing to powdercoat that I've found come from a rattle can. Its tough, shiny, sprays nice and even. I've done 4 frames with it already.

Using something that's marketed for indoor use on applicances seems a bit strange. In the product's description is says "Do not use on objects exposed to heat (stovetops, oven interiors, etc)" I'd say the frame will be exposed to heat so...

Eastwoods chassis black aerosol is amazing as far as aerosols go....kinda spendy and it is paint so it will chip, just not ad easily as hardware store rattle can stuff. Appliance enamel sounds like its worth a shot?

Any photos of what this stuff looks like on a frame?

Ive used the Eastwood Chassis Black. It will flatten in color after being exposed to the sun. We used to do all of our rock race vehicles in it, but didn't care about the flattening of the finish, as they were bouncing off of rocks, being tossed off of hills and barrel rolling down cliffs :laugh:

The Appliance Enamel works really well, and keeps its shine. My wife's bike has the exhaust right up against the frame is several locations with no ill effects.

100_5057.jpg

ALL of the black on this bike was sprayed with the Appliance Enamel, and 2 years later it still looks great with no chips. This bike has no fenders and gets run pretty hard on the dirt roads. :thumbsup:

Has anyone tried the "Stainless" color of this? I saw several posts about the bare metal look, and wondered if the stainless color would duplicate bare metal?

KenN

i used several coats of spray primer from home depot

used Dupli color metal speck black, several coats then cleared it, looks pretty good

Using something that's marketed for indoor use on applicances seems a bit strange. In the product's description is says "Do not use on objects exposed to heat (stovetops, oven interiors, etc)" I'd say the frame will be exposed to heat so...

Any photos of what this stuff looks like on a frame?

I do not. I haven't used it on a bike yet. I HAVE used it on a few auto resto's, but I have no pics.:(

Back