Air box refurbishment

Michaelo

650Mick
Reaction score
Found this picture while I was looking for something else, when I did the build I had to wait for some parts, so while waiting, I made the decision to media blast and paint the old air boxes.
Using 5mm thick foam with an adhesive side I made a template for the new seals, cut strips of the foam about 4mm wide so that it could be placed and made the 90 degree corners without folding in on itself.
It's a lot of farting around for something you do not see, but it beats rusted looking crap any day

XS650%2011.jpg
']
XS650%2011.jpg
[/URL]

Air boxes are like Rodney Dangerfield (comedian).........................they get no respect. Its very worthwhile to clean up the rust and paint them. The CV carbs run really well with the stock air box in place. Pod guys..................pretend you never read this post!

Just yesterday I was looking at my air boxes contemplating doing the same thing. Mine don't have any rust but the paint is chipped up.
But since it was really hot in the shop I convinced myself I could just do it later. :)
Yours look pretty good!

They look "factory" new. How did you clean/prep them?

Pretty simple weekendrider.....wire wheel to start, then media blast to get to bare metal, a clean wash then two coats of undercoat from a rattle can, three top coats.....in sun to dry for a few days then I cut the foam caskets to suit, new air filters and job done.
I don't think that changing to pods is going to keep the bike in original condition and it's running nice so, if it isn't broke, don't change it

Back