Air pod covers for rainy riding

81 xs650 hs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
so I live in Norther CA where we get plenty of rain, riding the other day I was starting to misfire because of my air pod getting clogged and sucking in rain water. Just wondering what other people have done to avoid this. if its air socks they purchased or some back yard temporary method to help at least slow the water intake.

any input from rain riders welcome, I got to do about 30miles which isnt much but rather not be stuck on the side of the rd due to foiled plugs and a wet motor.:bike:

because my bike wont fit the stock air box, its not tuned for the stock air box, Im 100 miles away form my shop where the stock air box is... so it anyone running pod and rides there bike please add some impute on the topic thanks.

K&N makes rain or what they call "snow" covers (for snomobile use). They're supposed to help out. I never tried them but I still have my side covers in place so I only experience problems when I come to a stop. Then the bike wants to stall if I don't keep blipping the throttle. Going down the road, I guess the side covers shield the pods and the water blows by.

They make covers or a prefilter made by outerwears. I run one on my 400ex air box lid it keeps the mud and water out but they are expensive.

One of the tricks old mud boggers used to use on trucks with open filters was to wrap panty hose around the filter. It won't stop all the water but much of it will splash right off.

well just checked the weather and my might have a window of at least lighter rain so panty hose may be the solution haha thanks.

any more back yard techniques? I thinks Ill be ordering some neoprene covers this week

The pods on Jet-skis are called flame arrestors. Do a search for jet-ski (Kawasaki JS750 or Yamaha Superjet). I had the same problem on my Jet-Ski after doing subs and bought one of the K&N prefilters and it works great. I think they are coated with water repellent because water just beads on it. I'm sure a little bit of water still gets in but it's nominal compared to before.

group-e56db610-9f3d-413b-a04a-1733a6739199-350.jpg

I bought mine straight from the K&N eBay store and worked out to be a bit cheaper than anywhere else. The Outerwears ones work well too supposedly.

Search around on jet-ski supply websites and eBay. I think you're looking at $15 each.

M

You might be in for a lot of explaining when your significant other finds out that the bottoms of her pantyhose are missing. :D So just tell her you've developed a weird fetish!

81 xs650 hs, I don't know what kind of pods you're using, but Outerwears and K&N Drycharger and Snowcharger covers work extremely well. With side covers in place, my filters got so waterlogged at a rally some years back that I was asked to run sweep because the rider behind me was choking on the fumes, and the scoot was gulping fuel like a Hummer and stalling at low rpm. The K&N Drychargers got their first real test a couple of years ago on a 170 mile run in steady rain, and they aced it: no rich symptoms, no fumes full of unburned fuel, no stalling at idle. They work. They didn't require leaner jetting, and that tells me that they flow extremely well.

Back