All Aboard! train ride New River Gorge NP

jpdevol

Hacker of Frames,Wires and other things
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Boarded a train today for a ride from Huntington,WV to Hinton,WV via America's newest National Park: New River Gorge.

All Aboard!
20221023_074859.jpg

Huntington is one of CSX's largest repair shops (countless locomotives parked here)
20221023_081718.jpg

It was intended as a "fall foliage tour", but as you can see, the cool weather lately has us a little past peak. A coal tipple across the Kanawha River outside Charleston:
20221023_101526.jpg

Passing Kanawha Falls with Glen Ferris, WV in the background , next up the mouth of the New River and on up the Gorge:
20221023_103010.jpg

Trains are the best. The last time I was a rich motherfucker I took a train from Chicago to NYC at Christmas for the heck of it. I bought clothes at Saks in Chicago and returned them at Saks in Manhattan. The train went through all the small towns in NY that I'd heard of. Lots of good memories. And amazing food and service in the dining car. Good comradery in the smoking car (smoking cars no longer a thing). I don't remember the exact date, but it was the date of a record snowfall in Buffalo. The cars are pretty leaky where they join together.

Well how did I miss seeing this? That looks like it was tons of fun! I’ve never had the opportunity to take a train ride, I must add that to my bucket list. Thanks for the photos! 😃

I must add that to my bucket list.
You absolutely must. Been all over Europe by train. Wife and I rode the Amtrak Cascades a few yrs back. Just south of Vancouver down to Eugene Or. My smartphone GPS Speed app was "tickling" triple digits on some of the straights. It's by far the most relaxing way to travel there is. You're not packed in like on an airliner. In our new covid reality world, I'll prolly never fly another airliner. I will get on another train though.

Awesome pic JP!!

I've been on a few short train excursions like that if fact once I splurged to be in an air-conditioned car, and I swear the air conditioner was run off diesel
It had to be as the train was pretty old

Back