All I have is a rectifier

np650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So the bike I got doesn't have any ignition unit on it. It is an 82 650. I have the wiring harness, the speed/tach cluster, hand controls, and rectifier. If I was to get this kit off of mikes would this basically get me going?
Pamco High Output Electronic Ignition Kit
http://www.mikesxs.net/products-81.html#products
I don't really want to keep the cluster and I was just planning on wiring in a push button starter and a kill switch. I really just want the most basic electrical setup so I can get it fired. I don't have the key and I am not worried about someone stealing it. Can you guys think of a cheaper way to get it going?
I am going to post pictures of my mess.

full

full

full

You will need Part #14-0915 from MikesXS because the 80-84's have TCI ignitions, so they never had the advance rod or advance timing weights under the right hand cam cover pictured above. This kit contains the ATU for the Pamco to work properly.

Last edited:
Do you know which wiring diagram you wanna go with? Are you gonna run HL and tail only, or signals too? What handlebar switches do you plan to use or any? i wired my starter button to the old horn button and deleted the right side handlebar switch completely. ( I have now gotten rid of e-start:laugh: )

How do you start it in that one? is the kill switch dual purpose, key start or kick start in that last diagram?

PamcoPete recommends that you have a kill switch TO the Pamco to keep from frying it. If you leave power to the unit without it running, it cooks. (4-5 mins) If you have a key switch AND toggle, you can check other electrical parts with out powering the pamco up.

You kick start that bike.
I would move the key switch over by the fuse coming off the battery were the reg/rec red wire comes in. Between there and the junction where the wire splits and goes to each fuse. The key switch should kill power to everything.
The way that is, if you park the bike and some clown comes along and turns the lights on you get a dead battery.

Back