Almost Snow Thrower Time

lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hoping for no need for the snowblower until late December, but I did not use this all last winter and it has been stored in the tin garden shed where the field mice rule, so out it came for its first start in 18 months.
Machine hauled out in the light, a mouse emerged blinking from the ignition/choke dashboard, so figured better to dismantle that before getting sweaty with the pull cord.
20201116_160508.jpg
Yes the harness was chewed, but there was only two wires going to ignition switch so easy fix.
Started fine, but throttle setting would not change engine speed, another area to take apart, check out and evict the bright eyed timorous squatters.

Attachments

• 20201116_171852.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:
ttsb1.jpg

ttsb1.jpg

ttsb2.jpg

ttmsb1.jpg

ttmsb3.jpg

I can't leave anything alone...

Inherited a 28 inch blower with a blown engine. Same MTD blower I already had so I knew it was underpowered with it's original Tecumseh 5 horse.

Went to the local(ish) Horror Fright brick-and-mortar and picked up a Predator 13 horse electric start and proceeded to farmer engineer it into place. The ONE winter we've had a decent amount of snow since then, it was a snow-blowing sumbitch! It'll blow a foot of heavy, wet snow as fast as I care to walk.

:cussing:
Same here, on a gggGary junk picking run cross the state and back last night with van and horse trailer, flurries were the rule not the exception. Fortunately it held to just wet roads. We also woke to a white lawn last weekend. I keep thinking I'll snag a snow blower during the off season, you know, late July. But as usual begin winter by filing the "hanging chad" off my shovel corners.

Last edited:
A few years ago I installed some rubber belting to each of the impellers so the belting would barely touch the inside auger housing area before the chute (it will wear in)
The belting was 1/4 thick from the local fleet store
Now the snow won't stick to the auger housing and my 5hp will blow wet heavy snow no problem

When I was a home owner.. I had the snow blower.. lawn mower.. etc etc... but I have been in ... condo ... for many years... as I tell my friends.. " I got people ".... I visited friend Steve a couple days ago... he had his snow blower out.... get'n it ready for global warm'n.... I approached and ask'd... " what is that machine ? " ... He busted a gut laughing

A few years ago I installed some rubber belting to each of the impellers so the belting would barely touch the inside auger housing area before the chute (it will wear in)
Now the snow won't stick to the auger housing and my 5hp will blow wet heavy snow no problem
Got a picture of how you installed that belting?

Hoping for no need for the snowblower until late December, but I did not use this all last winter and it has been stored in the tin garden shed where the field mice rule, so out it came for its first start in 18 months.
Machine hauled out in the light, a mouse emerged blinking from the ignition/choke dashboard, so figured better to dismantle that before getting sweaty with the pull cord.
View attachment 179040
Yes the harness was chewed, but there was only two wires going to ignition switch so easy fix.
Started fine, but throttle setting would not change engine speed, another area to take apart, check out and evict the bright eyed timorous squatters.
One of my best friends.

s-l400.jpg

I found this informative video on the installation.
I would also use sections of a truck mudflap (which I have for such purposes, including a backer for our XS650 licence plates.
I'm headed out to the barn to prepare for this modification.

Got a picture of how you installed that belting?
Just went out there the belting is 3" wide (I cut it down from the size I bought)
The impellors are pretty close to begin with This just scrapes the snow off the housing so it can't build up
Not a pretty job but the belting can be reused by drilling new holes and moving it in
IMG_20201117_130336961.jpg

I found this informative video on the installation.
I would also use sections of a truck mudflap (which I have for such purposes, including a backer for our XS650 licence plates.
I'm headed out to the barn to prepare for this modification.

That's probably the video I got the idea from

I have an 8hp as backup in case the 5hp don't cut it but I have only run the 8hp a couple of times just to run it I don't really need it
I've got three thick impeller blades which are a full 1/2" in clearance from the housing, so the rubber flap will likely be quite an improvement.
Gonna dig out some 1/4" carriage bolts in my boxes, thinkin' that the smoother head might allow the snow to slide off the rubber portion a bit more easily, and not give it a spot to collect....

I've been spraying all the digger/impeller parts regularly with WD-40 to reduce stickiness; anyone had success with some other slippery substance?

Back