Another Re-Jet Job

No, he's saying go 140 mains AND raise (richen) the needle by DROPPING the clip all the way down. But if you're already running rich, that doesn't make much sense now does it. Since the 137.5 mains improved things, I'd say go there. In fact, you may need the stock 135s. Everyone thinks straight pipes are great flowing, they're not, they flow like shit except up near redline. If you insist on using them then 137.5s with a slight midrange stumble may be as good as it gets.

This was were my confusion came in 5twins, dropping the clip would make things run even richer which is what I'm trying to keep away from.

I put the 135 mains in and put the clip in the #2 slot, and it was terrible.

I'm back on the 137.5 main and tried putting the clip at #1 slot and that was also terrible.

I am going back to 137.5 with the #2 slot. I'll just have to do some fine tuning.

I'm considering throwing the bs38's out into the bush and going to a two in one intake, im sure that will upset some of the members here!

I do appreciate everyones help, I have learnt a lot!

Having Carb problems?? Best way to fix that is to get rid of the carbs and start again I found!

Attachments

• IMG_4617.jpg
    IMG_4617.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 67
Everyone makes way too much of the jetting issue usually because there are other issues and changing the jets will not correct the unknown problems or they over compensate with richer jets than necessary. Make sure valve lash, timing, spark plugs/wires, compression, no vacuum leaks, float level are correct, no tears in the diaphragms and make small changes to the jets at first if any are needed at all. BS38 are great because you can change jetting by just removing the float bowls and leave the carbs on the bike.

I definitely have a lot of respect for my BS38's. I learnt a lot from tearing them down. I learnt a lot from this forum about those carbs. Most bike enthusiasts I know, wouldn't know how their carbs work let alone be able to take them apart to try different size jets or to lift the needle. Most 650 riders I know don't know what size jets they run!

They are now sitting in my bookshelf on display and will always be appreciated. They just didn't work with my bike/setup.

Back