Anyone around Des Moines Iowa?

rwingsfan

Xs 650 Dummy
Reaction score
Ok here it is. Got the old girl back together. Was runnin good when tore down. Now I got some issues in the transmission. I've had this motor out three times and not looking forward to it again and not very confident tearing into the tranny. Anyone well versed in the area? Of course I'll conmpensate :D

What's it not doing?
If you do need to go inside the tranny you can pull the engine, flip it upside down and pull the lower case off. No need to mess with the upper end.
There are some things you can check without pulling the engine. Do you have the Clymer book? In mine on page #80 it shows how to check and adjust the shift shaft.
In pic #8 that star can be loose and that can effect operation.
In pic #7 the spring that hooks between change lever 1 and change lever 2 can break.
oOn page 92, part 28 can break.
Sometimes the shift shaft has a lot of end play and can let change lever 2 bind and come off the star shaped plate.
All these thing can be checked by removing the right side cover.

Well something has let go thats for sure. I am going to pull the right cover first and see if I can see anything. Actually the starter lever froze up and I shifted up and down then it freed up. Is for sure something clunking and cannot find first or second gear much, fubar. I can sit and idle it and it seems to run great, but then it wanted to jump into gear with no help from me.

Well it could be something with the shiftshaft. When you get that right cover of you may find it.
It worked before the work you did, so I doubt it's any thing to serious. Most likely it's in the shift shaft some where.

Got right side cover off. Nothing immediatly pops out wrong, but now I reach over and try to shift and it feels like something definite with the shift shaft. Which manual is best Clymers, Haynes or something else. I was using the one at 650.com but it is very hard to read.

and cannot find first or second gear much, fubar. I can sit and idle it and it seems to run great, but then it wanted to jump into gear with no help from me.
sounds like you lost one of the shift fork locater pins #14

Attachments

• shift-cam-fork-xs650.PNG
    shift-cam-fork-xs650.PNG
    120 KB · Views: 75
Well digging in a little deeper here. Can ya'll look at the pictures and see if anything appears out of whack with my right side? I think the shift shaft is ok, but there is something going on below. It looks like I am going to have to pull it out yet again to look at the gearset. I am learning by fire here and doing some stuff I did'nt think I could do! Got the clutch basket out without too much problem. Any things to watch for putting it back in. I can't wait for my manual to arrive!!

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

On theManuals I like the factory books the best. The Clymer and Haynes are about the same. Some like one better than the other.
As far as the pics, the springs are in place the adjustment looks ok.
At this point I might try pulling the left cover. If the shift shaft got bent it can bind abit where it goes through the left cover. If it appears to be bent. If you can figure out which way, a length of pipe on the shaft, you might be able to bend it back.
You say you had the engine out a few times already. I assume you rebuilt it. During the rebuild, did you split the cases? Did you do anything to the shifter parts inside the case?
It's possible that if you had the tranny out you may have put something back together wrong. Possibly a shift fork not in the right place. Beside the groove instead of in the groove.

Actually I bought this motor from a hill climber who had a bunch of engine mods. First gear was out (found out after putting motor in) pulled it out and had him install another gearset from a different motor I had. All seemed well as I rode it a few times before the snow hit. Had done a redo of the bike over the last couple of months and finished up the other day only to find this going on. I am getting better at internal work, but not sure if I am comfortable tackling this or not. Just not real happy having to pull the motor again. I have another running motor sitting here, maybe I should just slap it in.....seems as though it one thing after another with this bike, but I am in too deep now to give up!!

I am going to go ahed and put the clutch back in and pull the motor I guess. Really this could be something simple, but no one around here knows these bikes, except me and I am just learning. I guess even at 54 you can still learn new things eh?

Well put the clutch back on, at least it seems to works good :doh: I can pull the shift lever and it feels like it does not downshift at all and up shifting feels ratchety. If I have to go into the trans the cases have to be split, correct? Am I going to end up shooting this with my 10 gauge? Grrrr......:banghead:

yes split the cases if it's not shifting right ... you are turning the gear sets as you try to shift it right? the shaft/gears need to be moving to mesh correctly. getting the motor out is the hardest part of the job really

Damn, I wish getting the motor out was the hardest part, I would be a pro. You ever get up this way Jayel? Really want to get this right.

not often there are a few guys up closer that might help I'll ask on a couple other forums if anyone can take a look at it

jayel, well that would be awesome. I don't mind having to do the work, but frankly on this one I am a little lost. I would be more than happy to compensate them for their time.

Yeah, I know Jeff at Vintagecycles, great guy pretty knowledgable, however is focus really is Honda. I would like to hook up with someone who is really up with the XS. Seriuosly my knowledge base with these bikes exceeds about anyone around here that I have met, thats why I am trying to find someone else who basically knows more than me! :thumbsup:

Just looking at my Clymer...on pg 80 chpter five there is some shift shaft adjustments to look at..lets see if I can get this up somehow...If this is too hard to read I could email it if you think it could help
shiftshaftadjustment.jpg

Back