Anyone do their own paint?

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Ive been thinking about , maybe, painting my bike myself. Using custom mixed two stage spray cans from a local auto paint supply house. Maxi Maroon is my color, It's a solid with no metalflake, that simplifies things a little. Then I would have to apply the decal and shoot a Two stage clear over it.
On another forum I belong to there is a guy that restores old Kawasaki triples and he paints all his bikes that way and they come out stunning.
Have any of you ever tried that?

Hi Mailman,
no reason the 2-part spray cans won't work as well as the low-cost paint gun that's all most amateur painters can afford and it does save you the cost of buying an air compressor and the hassle of storing the half-cans of paint that you can't bear to throw away.
Even if I don't understand now a person could live without an air compressor but that's another discussion, eh?
BUT NO MATTER WHAT PAINT SYSTEM YOU USE WEAR A PROPER BREATHING MASK OR THE FUMES WILL RIP YOUR LUNGS OUT
Well, not really, but emphysema and liver damage through paint fume inhalation are well documented.

Yeah I have respiratory problems anyway, I have a high quality three stage respirator I wear even when doing something like cleaning my carbs. I should probably have my head examined for even thinking about doing this. In my youth I worked as a welder in a fleet garage and I picked up paint and body work on the job. I know I can spray paint well enough, but the chemicals involved are worrisome.

I've had good luck using rattle can paints. You must use prepare the surfaces very well e.g. primer, sanding and having a no dust room.
See one of my jobs.

Attachments

• HPIM1128.JPG
    HPIM1128.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 62
Back