Anyone hardtail a '73 Frame WTF

hard_y_rd

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
O.K, need some input here. I have a 73 TX650 frame trying to get a T.C Bros hardtail mated to it. I read all the posts seems straight forward but do you need to force the seatrails to fit on the seat post.
I know the lower rails are not supposed to be at the same angle but the seatrails are off by about any inch. I'm thinking on using a ratchet strap to get the seatrails in proper place so welding can be done.
Anyone have this problem or does the hardtail fit perfect. Here are some pics. Help:wtf:

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 145
Did you tell TC Bros that this is for a 73 frame? An early frame like that is quite different than a late model frame. You might want to get in contact with them.

No, Probably kinda late now. This isn't normal is it?
I seen posts on here with 73's with hardtails. I probably will contact them and see what they say. I didn't mention the year. I just assumed they were the same.

Hope someone can refresh your memory inmotionphotog. I'm not much for searchin. Guess i'll have to cause this ain't workin.

You will have to heat the frame rails down towards the axle plates and bend the rails to the backbone. That is what the other person ended up doing. I will try to search later when I have time.

Anyone opposed to doing this.

Attachments

• 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 184
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 141
Just have to make sure you haven't twisted the tail. Might pay to make a brace or a square jig to test it is still true.

Thanks guys for all ur help. That thread on chopcult is really helpful. I'm running into the neck issue as well.
I may end up heating the lower rails though like you said ember. Take the stress off of the seatpost welds. Don't what that son of a bitch folding in half going up the road. :thumbsup:

I didn't weld up the frame yet, just wondering how to get an even bend on the frame rails when they are heated? I'm a little worried about doing this.

I had the same problem and the problem was that the lower rails were not cut in enough. I ended cutting like a 1/4-1/2" more and cuz them at an angle and that allowed the top to drop almost all the way in. I was then Able to press down while my buddy tacked it in place. With the slugs in the lower rail u have a bit of play in the bottom. Mine is a 71 frame. May be worth trying that before modifying the tail.

Ya could also find some bends from an old frame, cut the seat stays, butt the bends & weld it all up. I would probably cut near the axle plates if ya aren't looking for that flatty drop seat look.

Jayh1813, If you do that isn't your seatpost slug angle gonna be off and won't line up with your hardtail section cross member.

Last edited:
My seat post slug was about a half inch smaller in diameter so it had a lot of slop in it. I thought it was the wrong one. But my buddy assured me it would be fine with his welds. If I get a chance tomorrow ill snap a few pics of how we did it and post them.

Back