Anyone used a fake oil tank for extra gas

Norton factory did. They had racers with an underslung gas tank. To get the fuel where it was needed there was a mechanical fuel pump linked to the swingarm. The fuel pump was a diaphragm type like an older carburated engine would use. The pump was linked to the arm so the action of the arm would pump the fuel. The fuel went to a small feed tank in the standard position above the carbs. The feed tank had a stand pipe running to the underslung main tank below the engine. As the feed tank filled to maximum, the standpipe would flow the excess back to the main tank.

Funny story. I think it was Daytona when a friend told me about these Nortons. They were on the starting line and the riders of the Nortons were bouncing up and down on the seat keeping the feed tanks full. First one, then another, then the entire field started to bounce up and down on their seats. :^)

Tom, been around.

Reidy,
I am fitting a bigger tank.

1108900723674040_1.jpg
[/IMG]

Anything that you mount on the back is going to affect your handling until the fuel is consumed. Gasoline ways about 7 pounds per gallon. I have an aluminum 7.5 gallon tank that mounts on a rear luggage rack. If I travel long distances I use it and use it first and then my fuel tank. This gives a tremendous range.

Well the Stampede has been in my mind for some time now and most likely what has me thinking of it. Im thinking an extra 1-1.25 gals with a transfer pump without having an extra 50 lbs sloshing around. To be honest after 250+/- miles on a hardtail running all out I would be happy to stop a few minutes for fuel

Being you're only talking a gallon or so it seems like a pretty good idea. Beats the hell out of walking.

Just be sure to use it up regularly as the shelf life of modern gasoline is only about a month. I carry about a quart in a metal can in my saddle bag and each time I fill up I begin by pouring that quart into the tank and refilling my emergency bottle.

Being you're only talking a gallon or so it seems like a pretty good idea. Beats the hell out of walking.

Just be sure to use it up regularly as the shelf life of modern gasoline is only about a month. I carry about a quart in a metal can in my saddle bag and each time I fill up I begin by pouring that quart into the tank and refilling my emergency bottle.

Unexpected benefit getting to feel a little better about holding out for the no ethanol gas station

Back