anyone want my xs?

With all due respect to Max Pete, whose humour and insight I have come to appreciate, I am an Oz and I can be genteel and affable as any Yank or Canuck. On the other hand, I can be abrupt and pointed toward those with whom I have lost patience. As a general rule of thumb, Australians are not aggressive unless pushed or confronted with the unreasonable. The billboard Pete is referring to contains an Australian "colloquialism" that is, arguably, not actually a swear term but rather an oath based, as it is, upon the crusader battle chant of "By Our Lady", shortened to "B'Lady" and eventually to "Bloody". As a colloquialism, few Aussies take offence at it's use though we don't use it in church or at the dinner table. Yes, we Australians call a spade a spade but we do not lightly name someone a liar or charlatan without good reason.

I would suggest that Skull and Mr Bayless have some sort of "history" where a slight or some other form of affront has been registered. His reference to a "red shoe brigade" is something of a mystery to me but, during the 1980's wealthy business people of Queensland, typically property developers, perceived as aggressively commercial, vulgarly showy, and politically conservative were referred to as being members of the "white shoe brigade". Some of our most colourful and distrusted property developers were marked with this tag.
Skull has been, in my experience, consistently approachable and ready to support his fellow members but he has, on occasion, shown an unwillingness to tolerate fools. I could name several other members who share this attitude. I fear Skull's antagonistic response to Mr Bayless' thread indicates some sort of earlier transgression, imagined or otherwise. Perhaps Skull's negativity was based on his perception of Mr Bayless' original thread title which does, indeed, give the impression of a "free" motorcycle. To avoid such misunderstandings, we need to proof our texts carefully.
I trust Mr Bayless' financial situation improves before he parts with too many of the things he enjoys.

I wasn't going to post in here again but your post did pose some questions.........Here are the answers if you care to read. I had never had any contact with Ron before this post........my post was between post #354 and #355. I removed the original post a day later when the OP wanted the thread deleted..........post #355 is a quote by Ron of my first ever post to him in this thread.......
http://www.xs650.com/threads/delete-this.49552/page-18
All of my posts from then are left intact.............

OK, posts #23 & #24 in this thread are certainly not written in terms of endearment so we can, at least, assume that the two of you are not members of a mutual admiration group. My apologies if my assumptions were impertinent. Incidentally Skull, what is the "red shoe brigade"?

OK, posts #23 & #24 in this thread are certainly not written in terms of endearment so we can, at least, assume that the two of you are not members of a mutual admiration group. My apologies if my assumptions were impertinent. Incidentally Skull, what is the "red shoe brigade"?

Hi David,
while I am not Skull
[Edit:- and this is my own interpretation and not his. EndEdit]
I can answer that question.
In ancient Persia only the Shah was allowed to wear red boots.
On the XS650 site a former list member habitually posted trivial XS650 tech questions along with details about his wealth, his fancy house, his trophy wife, etc.
along with photos of his XS650 with him standing beside it dressed in really elegant clothing and wearing red shoes that he was not shy of saying cost $500 a pair.
Hence saying a person is a member of the "red shoe brigade" is a polite way of calling him a boastful braggart.

Last edited:
Wrongggggggggg Fred.............Not my interpretation at all......so don't presume to speak for me thanks:)

David there is no need to rehash, no more comments on this.

Wrongggggggggg Fred.............Not my interpretation at all......so don't presume to speak for me thanks:)
David there is no need to rehash, no more comments on this.

Hi Skull,
if you read other folks posts as carefully as you urge others to read yours you'd see that I didn't presume to speak for you at all.
And while my interpretation of what "Red shoe brigade" means to the list may differ from yours that don't mean its "Wronggggggg" or even wrong, just that it's different.

Back