bike gets hot and wont run. please help

everyday12s

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok guys so im ready to burn this f***er down!!!!! so i just replaced my pamco ignitoin cause my other one crapped out. ran the bike for about 20 min ran like a top. then it just crapped out. wouldnt idle adjusted the timing nothin did a thing. so let it sit for a day went out this mornin started on the first kick. ran 100 % for about 20 min then crapped out. thought it might have been a bad coil.. nope put two new ones on it same thing... WTF:wtf:

Sounds electrical. Are you charging? These bikes won't run right when the battery gets low and not at all once it gets too low.

When you say you ran the bike for 20 minutes, do you mean you rode it for 20 minutes or it just sat in the driveway running for 20 minutes?

Are you over charging? To high a voltage can cause trouble with the ignition. I have heard that if the P/M charging systems can hit 20 + volt spikes. 14.5 is what your max voltage should be.

so after two days of bullshit it turns out it was the battery.. wtf?? lol my charging system was workin fine my batt was just naot takin or holding a charge.. its weird but i put a new batt in it and its been runnin fine.. cant beleive that a bad batt had me stumped. i feel like an idiot.. hahaha:wtf:

I think that the fix for the thread rocker ron is talking about was a bad magnet on the rotor, not a bad battery.
Yes the battery has to be good to run the bike. The bike has a feild excited alternator. this alternator needs a good battery to supply the voltage needed to excite the alternator. With out the good battery to excite the alternator the battery won't charge up to a high enough voltage to supply the rest of the bikes electrical system.

Back