Blast from the past Won't see this again

member3480

RICH
Reaction score
I was just looking for some bikes and came across this bike that most of you young guys would have walked by and say WOW what a piece of junk. That's why you got to know the numbers.Guys this is a SANDCAST HONDA first year build. I sold 100's of these back then. It was my first year working in a Honda Dealership that i bought later. Crazy Honda only put these out 1 1/2 year but in 1970 they switched. This piece of junk is going to go close or over $10,000 The key for sandcast is the 100 number all of these parts are worth a small fortune. I know this is a XS thread but you may only ever see one in your life time that someone is selling. This guy is nutz i would have sold it to a collector. I found one of these sitting outside a barn in up state NY a while back while i was buying a XS650 from the guy. I bought it cheap and made big bucks on just the parts that i was able to clean up. I got over $2000.00 just for the front frame. Right now its over $7100.00 and many bidders.
THEY ARE OUT THERE OPEN YOUR EYES. HONDA YAMAHA KAWASAKI OLDIES but goodies.

Attachments

• code 100.jpg
    code 100.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 316
Yep, they basically put the prototype into production then figured out how to build them cheaper and build them faster . I had one back in the early '80s that I traded for a '78 750k that was like new . Seemed like a good deal at the time 'cause the '69 had turned into a bit of a scow and it needed tires brakes and a chain& sprockets.

Last edited:
So...how do you know it is a "sandcast" model? Heard this term before....Kev.

The sandcast was only made in '69 and half way through '70. It was very high quality , they basically made a prototype and then did a production run before the bean counters figured out how to cheapen them up. The serial #s will tell you if it is a sandcast , but I can tell just by looking at one.

The composite of the metal that was used was more money than what was used in later years and back in 1969 and around that time a lot of guys changed front sprocket to lower size and threw the chain into the case and broke them open like a egg. Honda found that they could make a cheaper and better case and that was the end of the sandcast . There were other bikes back in the 60's that also used that metal and also changed with the times. If two bikes were lined up i agree just a quick look and you would point out the sandcast motor. I have repaired back then more cases than i have fingers and toes that broke there cases. Also if you put any heat on them it just disapeared. Honda built other bikes that were only one or two of and you may only see one if a collector was smart enough to keep one. We had a factory 6 speed 305 Cafe racer only two made and now its on the west coast with a collector. There was also a CB450 made one year all black very rare. Early Hondas from the early 60's were cheap and got trashed so finding something like this bike is awsome. I even emailed this guy who is selling the bike to ask question on some other parts on bike that i know make it a jem and he didn't even know that those pieces were there and different.

Yeah me too. I have a buddy of mine who i restored for him every KZ900 and 1000 from 1973 to 1981. He has one stock looking for every year. He also is a caddy nut and has tons of them too . His basement is filled with bikes and his buddy collects Ironheads and has them everywhere in his home. He has the perfect wife. I was only allowed to keep my bikes at my garage HAHA!!!

Yeah me too. I have a buddy of mine who i restored for him every KZ900 and 1000 from 1973 to 1981. He has one stock looking for every year. He also is a caddy nut and has tons of them too . His basement is filled with bikes and his buddy collects Ironheads and has them everywhere in his home. He has the perfect wife. I was only allowed to keep my bikes at my garage HAHA!!!

if he's got a ton of bikes and tons of caddy's he probably has a ton of money too ... seems to go a long way with having a perfect or understanding wife:laugh:

I had a '69 K-1 750 Four. Would it have been a sandcast model? It was by far the fastest of all the 750 Hondas I owned except for one that was extremely modified.

Yes it was a sandcast if it was built in 1969. Honda built the bikes for a year and a half and if you find a 70 sandcast bike its just as rare as the 1969.
Bikes were built in Japan in 1968 and 1969 and it depends on how many each dealership got was where the most sold. I think we were on the 100 list for CB750 and then later we went up to the 250 list later years. If i remember we were able to go to the 100 list because we sold the most 305cc bikes two years in a row. Honda went by sales and here one to bend your mind . Honda started in late 50's and the bikes were called BENTLEY. Find the right one of those and retire.I remember all the old bikes that we had and the fun we had when a new one came in and we beat it up . We took a MR250 to the race track and ran mid 13's they were such a crazy bike. Had to sit on the tank to keep front end down. Big sellers in the 70's were the DREAMS/ANY 50/450cc bikes/ and they were everywhere the 50 step threws. Back then trucks would pull up on a corner and rent them for the day and it became demolishing derby.
Travis that bike should have went for more at a good action it would have gone over $25,000 but he was happy i spoke to him and it hit the number he wanted.

It's funny this thread popped up---growing up in Winnipeg Manitoba in the 50's/60's the HOnda and Yamaha dealers were friends---small riding community---rare one off's race bikes often showed up--Honda in particular---factory Triumph frames and motors--what ever happenend to these bike is anyones guess--a return to Wpg in 1996 and discussion with my friends revealed that the old bike s for the most part when into garages and back yard sheds to waste away/

That happened all over. We had a old building in Chester Pa that was three stories tall and when they wanted to build a collage next to it they wanted the building and my partner owned it and had all the windows and doors cemented up because it was a i sore and allways got fines on building. So they bought it and went to knock it down 100's of bike parts fell to the street and all the people started to drag them away. Sad news was now if i had those parts they would be worth a mint. Old BSA-Benelli-Ossa-Harley-Moto Gusie and manny more. He thought it was funny...
So there are many many bikes sitting in barns and garages that people don't know what they got. I have been buying motors and was just at a garage to pickup a CB motor and the guy had a original BSA 50's motor complete with Trans. He new what he had and i made a offer but left without it.

How about this? Oldies but goodies, I guess! Eddie, Freddie, and Wes Cooley!:thumbsup:

Great vid ace! Thanks for posting. The King was allready chasing glory over sea's then. I haven't heard some of those names in years. The Superbike series spawned one of my all time and still favorite bike, the Kawasaki ELR1000 replica. Bone's still races vintage flattrack, and occasionally post's over on flat track.com See here:

http://www.flattrack.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=3&id=175493&Itemid=0#180933

Back