Brembo Conversion

yamahammer

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've done some searching around on the forums and I'm seeing some different options for Brembo 65mm calipers with the pandemonium kit. Most of the members who do this seem to use gold Brembos from Ducatis or Aprillias. I noticed that there is also a 65mm Brembo from the k1200/f800 BMW that has a left and right and it's cheaper than the ones that say Brembo on them. I've also noticed that there are two pad and 4 pad calipers. Has anyone used these BMW branded Brembos or 4 pad calipers from the 749/999 on their xs? I've see the 2 pad 2 pin 65mm's but none of the others.

Thanks, Kyle

Just a suggestion - if you're thinking Brembo because you're not satisfied with how the stock caliper responds with the stock master cylinder, try an 11mm m/c with the stock caliper first. (This assumes you now have a 14mm m/c, which is good for dual front discs but leaves room for improvement with a single front disc.) If you do the Brembo, find a 5mm thick right-hand disc off an XS1100 - it's a direct swap for the stock 7mm disc, and it's slotted to boot - and you won't have to cut the extra clearance inside the Brembo caliper.

Good tip. I actually am converting to 35 mm forks, that's why I'm going the Brembo Route rather than an old fashioned stock 77 up caliper. If my early caliper fit the 35mm forks I'd use that, I have no problem with it. As for the rotor, it's already drilled and I know a machinist who will probably bring my stock rotor down to 5mm and resurface. Off-topic, but this is the crazy bastard here. http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/...roken-80-4-mph-on-a-steam-powered-motorcycle/

Bill's record run, returning.

The 76 used the same caliper as the earlier years, just moved to the rear of the fork.
77 was the first year of the single piston caliper.
Leo

Back