Broken idle mount BS34

bojangles

XS650 Member
Reaction score
The idle mount broke off of my BS34's. Tried JB weld and it didn't hold. Then tried welding it on and that didn't go so well. Are there any fixes for this that don't involve buying a new carb body? Does someone make a bracket that bolts to the float bowl and has adjuster threads on it?

If not, who has an unwanted left side BS34 they will sell me? ;)

Hi bojangles,
not after a failed welding fix, no. Your only hope is as you say, to find a replacement carb body.
Yes, there are guys who can weld the garbage alloy they cast carbs from but they all make $100,000 a year and work for NASA.

I have a couple 34's. Were in seattle are you? I can meet u Saturday in tacoma after i get out of work at 11. They are for the most part complete, $50

Thank you for the replies. Yes, the aluminum is die cast so there are a lot of additives that help it flow during the casting process, did not weld as I expected.

I'll resort to doing it right and assembling a new housing.

[/URL][/IMG]
I pulled the 34's from the box. As you can see, the mounts for the idle mix screws are cut down. The choke knob is broke. One has a brass float, the other foam. They are bothe 80's as the bowl has the center drain. the later 34's had a drain that ran to the side. The brass in it is stock. the diaphrams tested good. When u pull the choke rod out, keep track of the tiny ball and spring behind the small hole behind the rod. if you lose one, the choke will still work with just one side.
My foreman told me rite before we were off at 3:30 that we are working till. 2:30 Saturday. Give me a shout if you are interested. chris 25three97zero-2sixx77.
We can still meet in Belfair Saturday after your done in tahula. $50 bucks
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[URL=http://s968.photobucket.com/user/angus-67/media/random%20cycle%20stuff/007_zpsfrxiutcl.jpg.html][IMG]
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae166/angus-67/random%20cycle%20stuff/007_zpsfrxiutcl.jpg[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• 005_zpsoiqy420h.jpg
    005_zpsoiqy420h.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 009_zpsmvdvaqtk.jpg
    009_zpsmvdvaqtk.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 3
  • 008_zpsfq9t8vwz.jpg
    008_zpsfq9t8vwz.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 006_zpssz0pizs5.jpg