Buying Someone Else's Project ('81 XS650SH)

nexizen

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I always told my kids not to buy someone else's project. I didn't follow my own advice.

I was hungry for a motorcycle, and a buddy of mine mentioned he had an old project bike he had given up on. ('81 XS650SH) His plan was to make a cafe-racer style bike. He had already swapped the handlebar, installed a dual Mikuni carb kit, new exhaust, chopped the frame to better fit a new seat, welded the fender to the frame tucked under the seat, and swapped the headlight and tail light (along with turn signal delete). He sold the whole kit to me for $500.

So how bad is it?

Started didn't work. When kicking it, he couldn't get consistent spark. Turn signals didn't work. Seat not mounted. The welds are disgusting. (Apparently he didn't have any gas for the MIG he borrowed.) And he painted most of the bike with spray paint.

Here's what I have done so far.

1. Found that the right control cluster was not grounded due to the powder coat on the new handlebar. Without the ground, the start button didn't work. I ran a new ground and got that working.
2. The starter keeps kicking out. Ordered a new number 4 starter gear and spring from Mike's. Should be here in a day or so.
3. Used the 'dead cylinder' method to figure out what was happening with the spark. The coil appears to be fried. It gets decent spark on the left, but sporadic hits on the right. New coil ordered from Mike's. Also being delivered soon. I was able to get it running pretty well for a few minutes, but the coil could not keep the right cylinder going for long. (Video)
4. Pulled all of the wiring out of the headlight and tested/cleaned everything.
5. Turn signals still not working. Pulled apart the left control cluster and found that the wires had broken free from the contacts on the turn signal selector. Re-soldered and looking good now.
6. Gave it a bath. I gave it a decent once over to clean off most of the gunk. I also found that the crap paint peeled off of tons of areas. I'm going to have to consider media blasting everything when I take it apart later.
7. Ordered front foot pegs. The previous owner was planning to move to rear-ward controls. He pulled the stock foot pegs and lost them. I bought a pair off eBay for $35 and they were delivered yesterday. They're in pretty decent shape!

To do:
1. Fuse block is dead. Two of the contacts are broken. I am replacing the whole thing with separate fuse holders and rewiring to combine headlight and turn signals through 1 fuse. (it's all LEDs now, so the amperage is low)
2. Considering a complete change to the wiring system. I want to swap to a lithium battery and compact all of the electronics into a smaller area to clean up the look. This is a topic I'm still researching. I want to keep the starter, and I know I need to change the reg/rec. I'm just not sure what to actually do to make this happen. Yet. (Advice?)
3. Replacing gauges. I want to ditch the tach and find a small, clean-looking speedo. I also want to swap the neutral/bright lights to small LEDs.
3. Full engine teardown/cleaning/re-gasketing. It obviously leaks some oil. It's not dripping, but the underside was super slimy. I have no idea how long it had been since the bike's last bath, but it definitely leaks
4. Removing unnecessary components and frame elements. ex. I won't have a passenger (single seat), so I'm cutting the frame mounts for those foot pegs. Any mounts for signals, covers, etc. Remove center kick stand, etc.
5. Fixing existing welds. Holy cow are they bad. I also want to adjust the seat mount while I'm at it.
6. Welding up a new battery/electronics box. Once I figure out how I want it wired, I want to mount all of the electronics in a small, clean package.
7. Media blasting components that are over-painted, rusted, etc.
8. Painting/powder coating.
9. New wheels and tires. I'd really like to swap to wire wheels with some fat tires. I just love that look.

Overall Goal: I want to continue some of the cafe race aesthetic and keep the whole thing looking like a home project. I don't want it super clean. I want everything to be a bit rough and well-loved.

Lastly, I'm really excited to be joining this community. There are some amazing bikes out there, and an amazing wealth of knowledge!

Attachments

• 20240502_111857.jpg
    20240502_111857.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20240428_170025.jpg
    20240428_170025.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 20240428_150254.jpg
    20240428_150254.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20240428_150242.jpg
    20240428_150242.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20240502_112002.jpg
    20240502_112002.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20240502_111917.jpg
    20240502_111917.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 20240502_111906.jpg
    20240502_111906.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 43
I always told my kids not to buy someone else's project. I didn't follow my own advice.

I was hungry for a motorcycle, and a buddy of mine mentioned he had an old project bike he had given up on. ('81 XS650SH) His plan was to make a cafe-racer style bike. He had already swapped the handlebar, installed a dual Mikuni carb kit, new exhaust, chopped the frame to better fit a new seat, welded the fender to the frame tucked under the seat, and swapped the headlight and tail light (along with turn signal delete). He sold the whole kit to me for $500.

So how bad is it?

Started didn't work. When kicking it, he couldn't get consistent spark. Turn signals didn't work. Seat not mounted. The welds are disgusting. (Apparently he didn't have any gas for the MIG he borrowed.) And he painted most of the bike with spray paint.

Here's what I have done so far.

1. Found that the right control cluster was not grounded due to the powder coat on the new handlebar. Without the ground, the start button didn't work. I ran a new ground and got that working.
2. The starter keeps kicking out. Ordered a new number 4 starter gear and spring from Mike's. Should be here in a day or so.
3. Used the 'dead cylinder' method to figure out what was happening with the spark. The coil appears to be fried. It gets decent spark on the left, but sporadic hits on the right. New coil ordered from Mike's. Also being delivered soon. I was able to get it running pretty well for a few minutes, but the coil could not keep the right cylinder going for long. (Video)
4. Pulled all of the wiring out of the headlight and tested/cleaned everything.
5. Turn signals still not working. Pulled apart the left control cluster and found that the wires had broken free from the contacts on the turn signal selector. Re-soldered and looking good now.
6. Gave it a bath. I gave it a decent once over to clean off most of the gunk. I also found that the crap paint peeled off of tons of areas. I'm going to have to consider media blasting everything when I take it apart later.
7. Ordered front foot pegs. The previous owner was planning to move to rear-ward controls. He pulled the stock foot pegs and lost them. I bought a pair off eBay for $35 and they were delivered yesterday. They're in pretty decent shape!

To do:
1. Fuse block is dead. Two of the contacts are broken. I am replacing the whole thing with separate fuse holders and rewiring to combine headlight and turn signals through 1 fuse. (it's all LEDs now, so the amperage is low)
2. Considering a complete change to the wiring system. I want to swap to a lithium battery and compact all of the electronics into a smaller area to clean up the look. This is a topic I'm still researching. I want to keep the starter, and I know I need to change the reg/rec. I'm just not sure what to actually do to make this happen. Yet. (Advice?)
3. Replacing gauges. I want to ditch the tach and find a small, clean-looking speedo. I also want to swap the neutral/bright lights to small LEDs.
3. Full engine teardown/cleaning/re-gasketing. It obviously leaks some oil. It's not dripping, but the underside was super slimy. I have no idea how long it had been since the bike's last bath, but it definitely leaks
4. Removing unnecessary components and frame elements. ex. I won't have a passenger (single seat), so I'm cutting the frame mounts for those foot pegs. Any mounts for signals, covers, etc. Remove center kick stand, etc.
5. Fixing existing welds. Holy cow are they bad. I also want to adjust the seat mount while I'm at it.
6. Welding up a new battery/electronics box. Once I figure out how I want it wired, I want to mount all of the electronics in a small, clean package.
7. Media blasting components that are over-painted, rusted, etc.
8. Painting/powder coating.
9. New wheels and tires. I'd really like to swap to wire wheels with some fat tires. I just love that look.

Overall Goal: I want to continue some of the cafe race aesthetic and keep the whole thing looking like a home project. I don't want it super clean. I want everything to be a bit rough and well-loved.

Lastly, I'm really excited to be joining this community. There are some amazing bikes out there, and an amazing wealth of knowledge!
Welcome to the forum.
Great starting point of a machine you have. I'm sure you will enjoy the rebuild process and end up with the bike in your minds eye.
Apart from suspect welding the bones of it look good.
I dont have a center stand on my tracker build; the side stand is fine for trips out. I use a paddock stand in the workshop and have not had any problems.
Keep us posted with your progress.

Last edited:
Welcome, a spray can in some people hands is a gift. Not so. For others, it should be a crime.🙈

Before tearing down the engine. Compression test it. Check for oil leaks around the clutch pushrod seal. Notorious leaker and retourque the head, another notorious leaker on a bike that has sat a while.

Don't always assume, do or buy stuff, ask first. Not saying don't do things you know, just that their is a lot of infornation on YouTube Facebook and well meaning friends that will cost you time and money only to find, problems still their or worse.

Anything and everything, 99.999% of any problem, quirk that the XS650 has, has been found and discussed on here. Will get pointed to the best suppliers, for the best value or there could b a choice on the way to go or buy.

God luck with your project

Before tearing down the engine. Compression test it. Check for oil leaks around the clutch pushrod seal. Notorious leaker and retourque the head, another notorious leaker on a bike that has sat a while.
Thanks for the advice. I will certainly start with those!

You guys have convinced me to keep the center stand; at least for now.

I should have all of the new parts today or tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have an update later this week.

Thanks for all the kind words, gang!

Well here are some updates in case anyone is in the mood for a bit of schadenfreude.

• The foot rests I bought off eBay were obviously for a different bike. The mounting holes were too far apart. Ordered up some different ones. The right is here and fits. Left is still in the mail.
  • Turns out the clutch lever that was on the bike was doing nothing. I think it was just too short. I bought a used one from eBay and mounted it up. Works like a charm.
  • Pulled the rear tire to drop the swingarm low enough to fix the ugly welds. I like the overall look of the fender attached like this, but I think it's just a tad too far forward. I have a welder and a plan. We'll see how that goes.
  • While I was pulling the rear tire I went ahead on pulled the chain to give it a deep clean. It's nasty. Proper chain cleaner and lube are on the way.
  • Replaced the fuse block with in-line fuses. It's just a temporary fix. Once I have the full wiring solution figured out, I'll redo the whole thing.
  • Removed the reserve lighting unit and jumpered the necessary wires.
  • Started drawing a custom wiring diagram taking into consideration the changes I plan on making. So far I've only create a few of the elements. I still have a long way to go.
  • I built a foam mockup of the lithium battery I intend to use so I can start to plan the locations for all of the electronics once I remove the factor battery box.
  • Researching a gauge replacement. I'm liking the look of the Dayton Velona 60.
Once I have the other foot rest in and the welds cleaned up a bit, I want to get on the road with this machine. Then when the PNW rain starts in the fall, I'll tear it apart and start the frame and engine work.

Attachments

• welds.jpg
    welds.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot 2024-05-16 142502.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-16 142502.png
    148.6 KB · Views: 11
Back