81 Special

Exhaust day. Yesterday I removed the exhaust system. I was amazed the crossover pipe came apart. Had visions of cutting it apart. I had sprayed rust penetrate on it a few times a few time last week. It came apart with no drama. I then de-greased everything, knocked off the big rust and then polished it some. It came out ok. I used the Gunk engine degreaser first (it's good stuff, you don't need gloves but wash your hands before going pee). Next was Quick-Glo on the headers and the tops of the mufflers (thanks @jetmechmarty ) that stuff works very well. Not so good on the heavy stuff for that I used the Dremel and brass wheels. Finished with my favorite wax.
It came out ok for what I had to work with. As I was cleaning it up I could see what I already knew, it wasn't going to be perfect. When you have your face 6 inches from something you see every blemish. From a few feet it looks good. I could feel mission creep. I went and looked and I can buy new head pipes and good mufflers for less than $200. I had to remind myself what I am doing. The goal is to end up with a presentable bike that runs and rides like new. Not a show bike. New pipes would look better and maybe make the bike run better. At the end of the day I do not see a gain in value to justify the expense.
Next up swing arm.

View attachment 260225View attachment 260226View attachment 260227View attachment 260228View attachment 260229View attachment 260230View attachment 260231
View attachment 260232
Wow Impressive!

Was the corrosion down to the bare metal on the top of the left pipe? Will you be able to treat it with something to keep it from coming back?

Wow Impressive!

Was the corrosion down to the bare metal on the top of the left pipe? Will you be able to treat it with something to keep it from coming back?
For me, just regular riding and keeping the bike clean seems to do the trick. I have one stock muffler running with what I believe is battery acid damage.

Been doing it for years also.Just makes small pits a bit less conspicuous after a complete cleanup like Greg has done is what I’ve found.His look great.No scientific answer why either.🤷‍♂️

Back