BS34 float needle w/ bloated rubber tip

xjwmx

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I bought a needle and seat from Mike's in mid Feb. of 2011 and installed it at that time. Yesterday I got really weird running all of a sudden and went through the carbs today. First carb looked fine. Second carb had the needle on the left in it. The tip had swollen such that the float setting was 28mm (27mm + gasket) and the tip was jammed in the seat in such a was as it way that it couldn't move. The needle on the right is a Mikuni that Dogbunny took out of a carb and brought over to save me.

Attachments

• DSCI1085a.jpg
    DSCI1085a.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 177
Ethanol is the problem. Apparently Mike's needles don't do Ethanol very well.

I try to never run Ethanol but sometimes I've found my options to be Ethanol or push. Sometimes I wish I'd pushed.

Well, I'd read only good things about his BS34 needles and seats here. So anyway - yet another item to avoid.

Sorry to see that. Unfortunately it's a too common issue with aftermarket rubber parts. A vender like Mikes is just too small to have "in house" quality control at suppliers. Trying to keep prices low and dealing with small suppliers this stuff will happen. The good news is you found it before serious damage occurred. and a member stepped up and got you back on the road pronto! The fine denizens of XS650.com to the rescue, yet again.

Back