Can i get tripple tree bolts/nuts at the hardware store?

projectxs650

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So i bought, and am currently setting up my triple tree. The catch is that it didn't come with the top washers, nuts and bolt(s).....I think its the stem part that i'm referring too, the actual section that goes through the neck of the frame.

I have the stem part, but from there its just bare.

What i'm wondering is...

What all do i need to assemble the top portion of the triple tree stem, so that it stays on safely......and if i can find these parts at a hardware store?

Same goes for the bearings too?

Last edited:
Hardware store acorn nuts that fit will be 11mm instead of 10mm. I got the nuts from a dealer, had to order them and only about $1 ea. Picked them up so no shipping cost.

If you're referring to the two special nuts that hold the spindle in the frame, you can't get anything like those at a hardware store. www.babbittsonline.com will let you see a fiche that shows what goes there.

Last edited:
Hardware store acorn nuts that fit will be 11mm instead of 10mm. I got the nuts from a dealer, had to order them and only about $1 ea. Picked them up so no shipping cost.

If you're referring to the two special nuts that hold the spindle in the frame, you can't get anything like those at a hardware store. www.babbittsonline.com will let you see a fiche that shows what goes there.

Sounds good, anyone have any idea about the bearings?

Sounds good, anyone have any idea about the bearings?

If your races are good (no rust, no little dent marks from balls) you can replace the balls (1/4" about $10 per 100 at industrial supply stores). That's what I did.

Most people on these boards replace them with tapered bearings, of which you'll find about a thousand references. At the bottom of the spindle is a grease seal which you should reuse, or I think 650central.com sells new ones. If you called 650central he could sell you everything you need, prob. around $50.

Some of the tapered bearing kits include the new grease seal. Pretty easy to wreck the seal getting the old bottom race off. :mad:

The seal is all rubber if your carefull you can stretch it enough to slip it around the race and it will come right off.

Back