Carbs popping out of boots

Shabba

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have brand new carb boots from mikes xs and for the last several weeks of
Driving they have been good no problems. Today as I'm driving and I notice that these
Puppies are just shaking like crazy. Then they pop out and the bike quits. Kinda
Dangerous. I have to ride home with one hand pushing the carbs into the boots
Because every couple of feet they would pop out. I have the clamps from mikes xs
As well but they seem like garbage. Should I use a hose clamp or is there
Some other reason or way to get these to stay put? Is there any aluminum
Boots that will work with the bs38s?

Backfiring will blow the carbs off even with "good" boots. Lots of things can cause backfiring ignition or carburetion. One suspect is is malfunctioning advance mechanism or base ignition timing.

Once upon a time, Mike Lalonde sold good Japanese Tour Max boots from his former employer, K&L. Tour Max boots are still available. Mike's XS is still selling trash and blaming the failures on ethanol fuel. For those who haven't held a pair of those Chinese boots in hand, the rubber is a very little bit stiffer than stiff foam. I can't understand why anyone with a grain of sense would even mount them.

But as gggGary says, I'd look elsewhere--especially at the ignition--for the reason the carbs are blowing out of the boots.

True enough. I blew my left carb off while tuning, but all the flopping around he described won't be tolerated for long. Heavy 38s on mine would probably rip my boots up in no time without the air box supporting the back end of them. Sometimes we create our own problems through ambition. Lol
Might have a synch issue as well with the carbs dancing around, but you have to attack it one step at a time. Gotta get rid of the backfire before you can dial it in.

Back