Cell phone use in moving vehicles banned

hamamatsu

Retired loafer
Reaction score
Beachwood Ohio has banned handheld electronic device use for all those driving in city limits. The ordinance also covers laptop computers. Ticket plus 2 points against the driver's license. The police chief successfully lobbied for primary enforcement for all violators, regardless of age, saying the pending state law is "too lenient."The Beachwood measure was introduced May 21 and approved June 18. The ordinance goes into effect July 18, 2012
........................................................................................

What it means is that all hand held texting and cell phone use while driving is banned within the city of Beechwood. They have made it a primary offense which means they can stop you for violating this particular law, they don't have to stop you on another offense and tack this one on too. The fine is $101.00 and 2 points on your license.

This is much like the old motorcycle headlight laws of the 1960s where each little town had it's own rule about mandatory headlights on within the city limits. You had to know which town required lights on, or risk a ticket. The 1970s brought motorcycles that had lights on automatically while it was running.

Its banned in Aus, doesnt stop people though! Worse than drink driving, at least when your blind drunk, your trying to keep it on the road. Phone drivers dont even try to look. And talking/texting and i pod pedestrians are choking up our morgues bnd ED's at a ever increasing rate!

Posted via Mobile

I pass cops all the time driving down the road either talking on their phones or operating the keyboard on their computer. Do they somehow have something special that allows them to multitask safer then the rest of us? I do agree that it is very distracting and have set through a green light many times because the guy in front of me didn't know the light had turned green and he could go because they were talking on their cell phone.
jefft

Posted via Mobile

In Germany they take your license on a second offense. It is fundamentally against the law to have anything in your hands while you drive in Germany except controls for the automobile. Can't eat, smoke, phone, change CD's, do makeup, slap the kids, nothing but drive. Can't even "salute" other drivers!

Been banned in NJ now for years. IMO its worse all the kids are looking down texting now. Damn bureaucrats!

Maybe a bit harsh for some, but to me, texting while driving anywhere should be attempted manslaughter. Punishment is the only deterrent to get people to stop breaking a law. You think a ticket for texting that's about the same price as a speeding ticket is going to get people to stop doing it? NOPE. Educating young drivers and continuing to educate current drivers is a preventative measure that isn't being implemented near enough.

I was just talking to a guy that got run off the road by a dumass texting on a goldwing while turning left right in front of him.

I saw some dimwit on a scooter texting while riding. :doh: He was wobbling all over the place, worse than a drunk.

People brag about 'multitasking'; that word means the protagonist is doing NOTHING well.

Actually, all this is not really anything new. Ian Fleming, in one of the James Bond books, commented on how two women in a car were deadly because they had to look at each other meaning the driver was paying attention to everything except driving. Four in a car were even worse because the driver would have to turn around and watch the reaction of the ones in the back when she said omething. :laugh:

Don't get too close to Rural mailmen. you have been warned. At the end of my route I stop and slide back over to the drivers seat for the 2 miles back to the post office. I just about go nuts because all I am doing is driving, it seems so, well BORING. Considering what we have to do, day in, day out, year round our safety record is amazing.

I keep a close eye to see if the other drivers are driving or or are busy doing other things especially at intersections.

Cell phones are banned here in school zones. I guess the chamber of commerce wants the city demographics to be younger.

Back