Chains - So many choices

xsPete

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
G'day, this from my build thread still looking for advise if possible.
CHAINS",
Hhow many choices are there?
Advice needed.
I'm running a streched swingarm with a measurement of app: 26 1/2 " from Centre to Centre on the sprockets. I've got 2 new sprockets 17/35-530.

Can someone advise on the best option for the chain, whether I need 110 or 120 link or what ?
Also when I look at the different types of chains it's off it's head, heavy duty/ x ring/ o ring etc etc.

The bike is going 750 with free flowing exhaust so there'll be a fair bit of bottom end riding but also where I live the nearest decent size town is 65 klm's with no traffic lights between so ther'll be a fair bit of cruising at 100/ 110 Klm's/Hr

All advice appreciated.
Tks Pete

One authority says o-ring chain is so stiff it's bound to rob horsepower. Personally, I have mike's basic stock chain and it's ok but wearing fast. I think that's because I used spray lube for the last 5000mi instead of mopping motor oil onto it. Same chain before lasted much better with motor oil. Could also be because I'm on a sand-based planet now.

One authority says o-ring chain is so stiff it's bound to rob horsepower.
First I've ever heard that. Wonder why sport bikes come with x/o ring chains. I would think that any tightness would go away in the first hundred or so miles.
Personally, I prefer a named brand x or o ring chain.

Posted via Mobile

In motocross, many run standard chains because of the "horsepower issue," if you want to call it that. When the rear tire is spun on the bike on a center stand, you can see the standard chain tire will spin a little more freely under less resistance. I've always ran o-ring chains, they seem to last longer and a lot less stretching which means less chain adjustments.

I really like the x-ring D.I.D chains and have great luck with them, if you want a less expensive alternative get a parts unlimited x ring chain, they are made by DID but a fraction of the price, I have used those also and noticed no difference other than price, I have ran them on my 650 and all my past sport bikes. Good luck

Ok, you know the distance between the sprocket centers. If you double this measurement, as in 26.5 x 2 = 53 inches. 530 chain links are 5/8 inches long. divide 53 by 5/8 = 84.8 links. Lets call this 85 links.
Now you need to add 1/2 the teeth count of the front and rear sprockets.
Your front is 17 so 1/2 is 8.5. 85 + 8.5 = 93.5
rear is 35 so 1/2 is 17.5. 17.5 + 93.5 = 111 links.
A 110 might be a bit short. Get the next longest and cut off what you don't need.
AS others say, most any brand name chain is good. The o-rings are a bit less maintainance than regular chain. The X-rings a bit less than O-ring.
You can find good O-ring chains from about $60 on up to as much as you want to pay.
Leo

Back