Compatable rotor for DIY PMA

alexml

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi

I managed to put together a mix n' match PMA system using a RD250 stator and backing plate, with a really nice adapter plate made by COFA engineering. What I am wondering is, should the RD400 flywheel that I have fit. When I fitted it up just to check it seemed okay, but now I am putting it together for real i wanted to check. It goes onto the crankshaft taper okay without a woodruff key, but stops about 10mm short of where the standard flywheel reached. With the woodruff key in place it only reaches about 15mm from where the original flywheel reached. I am wondering now if the taper on the 250/400 air cooled flywheel is correct. I don't remember where I saw that the 250/400 flywheel fits so cannot check. We don't have many Banshees hear in the u.k so I am assuming that the RD 350 YPVS is the same flywheel. Does anyone have an idea of which flywheels fit.

Thanks

Thanks for the link, it seems as if most DIY conversions in the U.S are using RZ350 banshee flywheels. Loads of info on stators to use, I have that sorted, but no info on other compatible flywheels. I can probably get a 350YPVS flywheel, but not 100% sure that it is the same as the RZ/banshee. Trying to get the parts in the U.K and save U.s postage cost. I am sure I read somewhere that the RD250/400 air cooled flywheels fit. Not sure if anyone has done a DIY lately, but any info on the flywheel would be a great help.

Hi

Yes the key is okay, filed a 5mm one down to 4mm for the XS650 Crankshaft, it fits well. I think the problem may be the taper on the 250/400 flywheel. Not sure if it is compatable. Just wondered if anyone had used one as I thought I read somewhere it was ok. It seems as if it is only the 350YPVS one that fits though. I will try to get a YPVS one. Thanks

I fiddled around with the bracket removed some material from the backing plate and offered up the rotor again. It seems to fit much better now, so i think there may have been something behind stopping it fitting properly. Woodruff key all fine too. Next stage, try to start it with the new PMA (no Battery)

Back