Crank Re-phase questions.

Dead Roman

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Is ther a guide to rephasing a crank yourself? I am trying to save as much money as I can on this build and I need to figure out i this is doable for me or not. I have access to a press amd a machine shop an I am not worried about welding the crank. I dont know anythig about truing a crank though. Hugh, I know you are the man and this is the way you make your money, but i cant drop the dough on PMA, crank,cam. I would appreciate your input but I understand if you dont wanna give away all your tricks. I am definately going to buy your PMA setup though.

This is how I did my crank.

RPcrank01.jpg

I separated the crank using wedges and step blocks. The press was used at first but I quickly realized that it was unnecessary and finished by hitting the wedges alternately with a small ball-peen hammer. Driving the wedges a couple inches only moves the crank about an eighth inch. Then you tap the wedges free, reset the step blocks and have at it again.

I didn't get any pictures of cutting the new keyway for the sprocket. For that I cut a hole in a large piece of cardboard just big enough for the center shaft, and stuffed the splined hole with paper towels. All that was to prevent metal shavings from getting in the rod bearing. I carefully scribed where the slot should be and cut it out with a cutoff wheel in a Dremel roto tool.

To reassemble the crank I again used the wedges but this time as spacers to fill the gaps in the crank webs so that it could be pressed together from the ends without messing up the rod clearances.

RPcrank02.jpg

In the pic there are improvised clamps to hold the wedges together. Again, I realized later that it was unnecessary. Simply tapping the wedges in until the stick would be sufficient. The press used for reassembly is just a cheap Chinese "12-ton".

For those wanting to attempt to rebuild their crank properly, here is a good write-up BikerMetric did a while back with us. I do recommend fully disassembling the crank to inspect all the components.

http://www.bikermetric.com/2011/11/techtips-re-phasing-your-xs650-by-hugh.html

These take use quite a while to do in house, but we are meticulous about it. The first one I ever did took me nearly 2 weeks to get apart, inspect, true, weld, etc... And I do recommend welding, as I see lots of OEM cranks walking apart at the middle.

I'll be glad to help anyway I can..

Hugh

Thank you hugh, it is extremely generous of you to share your knowledge of xs motors with those of us who have little.

Back