Crankshaft Widths / specs

pipo_pk

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone could shed some light on an issue I have reassembling my XS crankshaft.

The spec seems to say that the width of each camshaft should be 66mm +\- 0.05mm - 0.1mm.
The overall measurement between both crank should be 186 +\- 0 - 0.3mm. This is where my problem lies.
The difference therefore would be 54mm for the centre, although try as I might I can let get them any closer than 56mm so out of tolerance.
I’ve check to ensure I hadn’t included any extra shims, and tried using about 4ton on my press but it won’t go no further. Obviously conscious to mess things up.
Have the whole crank pressed together and trued up to almost zero. But the centre clearance is out for sure as the crank won’t rotate in the casing ??

Any ideas ?

Thanks !!!

I have read somewhere ( Ithink the XS club of Australia website) that you need a 10 ton press to disassemble a crank. If there are no other problems try some more pressure. Assembly lube is a good thing to use but its too late now if you didn't use any.
From memory you will have to pull the outer wheels off to get at the centre.
I made some spacers that fit between the crank wheels the correct length that stop the press over shooting as they often tend to move in jumps as pressure overcomes the stiction.
A bigger press with a sturdy frame tends to do this less.

Thanks for this advice. My press is 12 ton, I’ve applied about 4 ton but need to get the centre crank to move another 2mm 🤔
Perhaps it just need some extra tonnage to move just a little more!

Think I read somewhere if it needs less than 6 tonne to press it together it shouldn't be used

Think I read somewhere if it needs less than 6 tonne to press it together it shouldn't be used
Thanks again, Thankfully I have a friend working a fabrication shop so he's been kinda enough to supply me with some thick plate steel and 'I' beam that should be up to the job, will allow me to safely push the press up to 12 ton :O)

Back