Crap....idle screw mount broken

maxpower3

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not how i wanted to spend today.

So I'm tapping around on the carbs, just randomly, and one of my taps breaks loose the idle screw mount. It was obviously broken by a previous owner and perhaps JB welded back on.

I attached two pictures -- one of the carbs with the broken bracket, the other of the other half of the bracket with the screw in it.

What are my options here? JB weld it back on? Get new carbs?

EDIT: Man, those pictures suck. Hopefully you can get the idea though.

Attachments

• P1010906.jpg
    P1010906.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 97
  • P1010907.jpg
    P1010907.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 84
It's some trouble but you could swap left for right. Drill and tap the virgin tang.
tap the virgin tang for your new idle thing itsa screw you need so tap the virgin tang.
BWHAHAHAHA that's fun just typing it

I thought of that at 1st too but upon further reflection, it won't work. It would put the fuel inlets for the "T" fitting facing out. Replacement left carb body is probably the best option.

Well...thanks for the attempt.

I'm not seeing a left-body replacement on Mikes XS.....anyone got one available or know where one is available?

And on a related note.....anyone want to buy a hardtailed 82 XS in New Mexico? I'm about ready to throw this money pit out.

You may want to post in the classified?
JB should do the job here given some overlap and time to cure.
Blob it, let it cure for a week, then clean it up with a dremel and paint or use 5twins tip of a permanent marker to color it
Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Yeah you're right. It's just a high tension part and I worry it'll break under constant stress.

A good JB Weld fix will be plenty strong enough. The only stress it gets is the pressue of the throttle return spring.
Clean the parts good, glue the broke off part back on A bit more aplied arond the joint. After 24 hrs cure time, redrill the hole, thread the hole to match the screw.
Voila, all good.

The only problem is that's a special screw with a special very fine thread. You'll probably never find a tap for it. I would cement it back on with the screw in place, threads lightly oiled so the JB Weld doesn't stick to them.

then use a screw with a more readily availabe thread. sheesh. biulding a museum peice? or you gonna ride it?

Back