Drum brake spline removal (Do I just keep hitting it??)

triniriderz

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to bore you folk's with mundane questions, but is there a "special" way of get the rear drum brake spline out of the carrier???

I have used a ton of penetrating oil a rubber hammer and even voodoo but this thing won't budge,

See pic

IMG_6700.jpg

You could put a vice grip on the cam and hit it with a hammer to make it break loose by turning. Or you might be able to force it out gradually using a 'c' clamp or bench vice. You could use blocks of wood over the cam inside. I don't remember anything holding it on the outside, like a clip of some kind, but look carefully just in case.

Yeah I did spin it a few times using the attachment arm but it's very very stiff and needed a good smack with the hammer.. As long as I know that there isnt anything stopping it coming out, penetrating oil and time should get it sorted.. :thumbsup:

Sorry don't mean to jack this thread but does anyone have an extra spline mine broke off can't seem to find just the spline anywhere. Any sources? eBay only has the whole drum setup

I would get it to turn easily before trying to remove it. Maybe use a 12" Cresent on the flats, working it back and forth w/ penetrating oil and heat applied (heat gun) until it rotates freely. That's one nasty looking hub, lol.

Most of the dirt is from my WD-40 covered gloves, but you are right it is a nasty hub but then that adds to the charm :laugh:... I would really like to get the wheels blasted, coated and rebuilt but at the moment it's a last priority and will probably just take the tyres off and give it a quick rattle can PJ..

Also stainless spokes here in the UK have gone up a sh!t load in the last year so can't really justify it when the bike isn't up and running yet...

I will also have to find my wheel jig it's in a bundle of stuff in the loft :banghead:

I did it!!!! whoooohooooo after an hour of lubing twisting and smacking the bloody thing it came loose...

I can now see this would be a part that would need periodic attention as it is just metal on metal :wtf: I think the Yammy design board where at lunch when this design was passed out.....

Nah, just knock it out and grease it a tad when you change shoes and it'll hold up. On mine there's a felt washer tucked in around the splined shaft itself. You can saturate that with grease to help keep it nice.

Mine originally introduced itself to me by locking itself in the expanded position due to crud. My po probably never used the rear brake, so he never changed the shoes or maintained it in there.

Back