Drunks, babies and idiots

nj1639

Paleo-simplistic
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Being newly married with a pregnant wife and a house payment, living in the poorest county in South Jersey where a lot of locals would work the tourist trade in the summer and then take unemployment through the winter, year round jobs were hard to find.

I had a bit of experience doing fiberglass having worked for a couple of friends that built animated creatures and such for boardwalk rides and scary houses, along with water slides. The boys got into a bad deal with a couple of unscrupulous shysters and about lost their shirts. Wondering if pay was going to be there at the end of the week took a toll on me and the nesting wife so new employment was in the cards.

There was a new outfit that moved into the converted WW11 outbuildings in the same rural airport complex that I had been working in and they were building fiberglass pools. I applied and was hired on.

Don was the ramrod in charge and he referred to the owner as Captain Goofy.
Don was a transplant from South Philly, his formative youth in the '50's, and would tell me how you could blow up cars with gasoline and a broken brake lightbulb, how to disable cars with a potato in the exhaust pipe and how to create a backfire for laughs, among a myriad of delinquent trivia.

Captain Goofy probably had connections to Uncle Louie and da boyz, if you catch my drift. He liked maximum profit with minimum expense, so rigging was an aspect of the job.

I'll mention that working in glass and resin is a hot job, temperature wise, aggravated by working in a metal hangar. Being summertime we would start early in the dark and finish for the day in the early afternoon.

We had finished a pool and it needed to be towed out of the hangar so it could be lifted off the mold. To haul the behmouth out, there was a tow motor of sorts, kinda like a gasoline powered forklift without the forks. The fly in this ointment was that the fuel pump didn't work. Captain Goofy knew it needed repair but maximum profit, minimum expense ruled.
Don came up with the idea that I could pour gasoline from a repurposed Methel-ethel keytone peroxide plastic jug into the carburetor while he drove.

So here we go, Don driving, me hanging on the side trying carefully to piss in the toilet, so to speak.
It worked, but the jostling led to spilling on the sides and the engine spitting and sputtering until it backfired and stalled sending a flame into the Molotov cocktail that I'm holding which caught flame. Tossing the jug AWAY from me was the priority and there she goes, rolling and spilling flame, heading towards a plane that was anchored out on the tarmac. Did I mention it was an active airport for Cessna's and such?

Don bailed and retrieved a fire extinguisher before any damage occurred to the plane ahead.

Once the sun came up bright you could see the zig zag chemical trail from the extinguisher and thus where the flames had been, and that was a little to close for comfort. Airport personnel were a bit curious as to what happened. Myself being the grunt of the operation had left Don to do the 'splainin.
I decided to seek other employ and became a cable guy soon after that (No experience? Pregnant wife? House mortgage? This guy will show up to work every day. Hire him)

Last edited:
A good story. Thanks.
How did the baby turn out?
First off I'll say the thread is open to stories relating to any of the headlines. This one in particular would come under 'Idiots', of course.
The eventual baby was the first of three daughters, now a mother of two boys and she's a lab tech.....three daughters. I remember as a young man, raising my eyes to the heavens and saying aloud "I just want to be surrounded by women" and as a quick add on "and live in a cave!". Yeah, I had no idea. Providence has a great sense of humor.

Last edited:
Being newly married with a pregnant wife and a house payment, living in the poorest county in South Jersey where a lot of locals would work the tourist trade in the summer and then take unemployment through the winter, year round jobs were hard to find.

I had a bit of experience doing fiberglass having worked for a couple of friends that built animated creatures and such for boardwalk rides and scary houses, along with water slides. The boys got into a bad deal with a couple of unscrupulous shysters and about lost their shirts. Wondering if pay was going to be there at the end of the week took a toll on me and the nesting wife so new employment was in the cards.

There was a new outfit that moved into the converted WW11 outbuildings in the same rural airport complex that I had been working in and they were building fiberglass pools. I applied and was hired on.

Don was the ramrod in charge and he referred to the owner as Captain Goofy.
Don was a transplant from South Philly, his formative youth in the '50's, and would tell me how you could blow up cars with gasoline and a broken brake lightbulb, how to disable cars with a potato in the exhaust pipe and how to create a backfire for laughs, among a myriad of delinquent trivia.

Captain Goofy probably had connections to Uncle Louie and da boyz, if you catch my drift. He liked maximum profit with minimum expense, so rigging was an aspect of the job.

I'll mention that working in glass and resin is a hot job, temperature wise, aggravated by working in a metal hangar. Being summertime we would start early in the dark and finish for the day in the early afternoon.

We had finished a pool and it needed to be towed out of the hangar so it could be lifted off the mold. To haul the behmouth out, there was a tow motor of sorts, kinda like a gasoline powered forklift without the forks. The fly in this ointment was that the fuel pump didn't work. Captain Goofy knew it needed repair but maximum profit, minimum expense ruled.
Don came up with the idea that I could pour gasoline from a repurposed Methel-ethel keystone plastic jug into the carburetor while he drove.

So here we go, Don driving, me hanging on the side trying carefully to piss in the toilet, so to speak.
It worked, but the jostling led to spilling on the sides and the engine spitting and sputtering until it backfired and stalled sending a flame into the Molotov cocktail that I'm holding which caught flame. Tossing the jug AWAY from me was the priority and there she goes, rolling and spilling flame, heading towards a plane that was anchored out on the tarmac. Did I mention it was an active airport for Cessna's and such?

Don bailed and retrieved a fire extinguisher before any damage occurred to the plane ahead.

Once the sun came up bright you could see the zig zag chemical trail from the extinguisher and thus where the flames had been, and that was a little to close for comfort. Airport personnel were a bit curious as to what happened. Myself being the grunt of the operation had left Don to do the 'splainin.
I decided to seek other employ and became a cable guy soon after that (Pregnant wife? House mortgage? This guy will show up to work every day. Hire him)

As a kid I was working by myself in a welding shop at midnight...tried to hurry some epoxy with a radiant heater... I got the fire out in time...but it was a near thing, only mild blisters! BTW MEK peroxide is supposed to be an explosive...well, it's a peroxide, so I guess it is. The fire started with a very nice kerwhump...

Fiberglass tub module in a brand new house had a chip. gggGary to the rescue! I mixed some gel coat to repair, oops a bit too much hardener, poured extra into a paper cup with gel coat from the kit. While working the chip I hear an odd sizzling sound, huh, wonder what that is? Next up: foot of sooty flame shooting out of paper cup. Me running with a paper cup full of flaming liquid, made it outside, whew!

When I was in my early 20’s, I was a pipe welder working at a large job site, a brand new high school complex. I was one of two welders on the crew and the other welder used to like to pull this prank on the other trade crews. He created this homemade cannon that was thunderously loud, He had a ten foot length of steel pipe, that he had capped on one end and he drilled a hole on the end of the pipe that had the cap. He would lay this pipe across a couple of saw horses and extend the open end into a room where another crew would be working , he would open the valves on his Oxy / acetylene torch and fill the pipe up with the gas mixture, then light his torch and use it to set the mixture off.
It sounded like a ships cannon and flames would belch out of the end of the pipe. It never failed to have the desired effect with workers usually throwing their tools down and fleeing. 😄

Well one day we were working in an upstairs equipment room that adjoined the auditorium, a big open room with lots of workers present that day. My coworker decided it would sound especially loud inside that auditorium so he set his cannon up and fired it off. What he failed to notice was the job site superintendent conducting a VIP tour of the construction site. The state school superintendent and a bunch of officials were on the ground floor when that cannon went off! They all just about shit themselves and boy did we get in trouble! 😆

Last edited:
Airplane hanger, taking ex military Huey helicopters (UH-1) and bringing 'em up to civilian standards.
Helping out in the paint shop, prepping one for paint. Last step is to wipe it down with lacquer thinner.
This was the early 70's when smoking just about anywhere you damn well pleased was the order of the day.... including this particular hanger. The owner smoked... and he made the rules. What happened next was a rapid fire comedy of errors/stupidity.
About halfway through wiping down this helicopter, I paused to light a smoke.
Let me pause again to point out that, at 16 or 17, I weren't the sharpest tool in the shed... but that's kinda obvious at this point, ain't it? Anyway...

lighting the smoke with one hand, I let the other hand with the thinner soaked rag get a little too close. "Whoomph" is the best description of the sound of the ignition that I can come up with. Having extremely fast reactions back then, I threw the rag so fast my arm hairs didn't even get singed. Anyway, good reflexes... poor aim.... sumbich if that rag didn't land square on top of a 55gal drum of, you guessed it, lacquer thinner.

Me and the painter just kinda froze in place for just an instant. It was prolly a tossup as to who's eyes were bigger.... then we both bolted for the door... running across the hanger at something approaching a record 100yd dash, yelling "fire!!!" all the while, we ran into a huge fire extinguisher. This was one of those monster affairs. Four foot dia wagon wheels... a 25ft hose as big a my wrist... this thing was a dry chemical beast. We ran it back to the paint room with me unwinding the hose as we went. Upon arrival I ran through the door facing the fire and pulled the handle.... nothing. I yelled at the other guy at the top of my lungs to "charge the fucking thing!!!" So he's fumbling around like an idiot... and I'm facing a (growing) fire... with a fire extinguisher that won't work.

About this time, there was an explosion and a huge fireball. All the fight left me at that instant and I literally sank to my knees. You ever been so full of fear that you just turned to jello? In my mind, I was already toast. About this time, the other guy finally got the extinguisher charged and it went off in my hands. Still on my knees I raised the nozzle and dispatched the fire in short order. Turns out there was a gallon can of Imron paint sitting on top of the 55gal drum. The flaming thinner rag had landed smack dab on top of it. The heat from the flame finally caused the top of the can to pop off. That was the (sum total of the) explosion.

Fast forward about 2 weeks and the lead is handing out paychecks. As he gives me and the painter ours he sez "the boss deducted y'alls pay for the cost of refilling the extinguisher." I looked at my check for two weeks wages and take home pay was something like $3.59. So being a brash and cocky punk (as well as dumb as they come) I got into a somewhat heated exchange with my lead. Hearing this, and unbeknownst to me, the owner was slowly working his way toward us. Finally I told the lead "that's fine then , go ahead and dock my pay, but ya know what? Next time there's a fire, I ain't touchin' that fuckin' fire extinguisher.... I'll let this place burn to the fuckin ground!!" ... and stormed off.

Later, as I was clocking out for the day, the owner came up to me and handed me a new paycheck... with all my earnings. He looked at me and said "you know this was all your fault... but point taken... jus' don't smoke in there anymore."

Lesson learned. I didn't.

Back