Engine Case Differences

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
I'm going to build an engine sometime in the near future, but just wanted to know if there is any real difference in years? For instance, if I had a '75 case, could I fill it with '80 goodies?

Yep, you can do that. All of cases will swap parts around. You might find a case without an electric start, but otherwise everything will go right on in...

The 256 Engines have oddball crap that you probably wanna stay away from... 22mm wrist pins on the rods, funky cam gear tensioners, etc...

I suggest that you use a matching set of case's. Not a top half from one and a bottom from another. I do not think that would work, because the case halves are machined as one piece, and machining would vary from case to case. But yea, I think '73 & up are all the same.

I suggest that you use a matching set of case's. Not a top half from one and a bottom from another. I do not think that would work, because the case halves are machined as one piece, and machining would vary from case to case. But yea, I think '73 & up are all the same.

Good point, and don't mix and match head/head covers either. They are stamped with matching numbers, same as the cases...

Back