Engine dies without choke?

AirsoftNY

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,

New guy reporting in.

Bought my first 650 at the beginning of the summer, I'm super excited. I've only owned a smaller Honda CB125 in the past, so the 650 seems pretty huge.

It's a bone stock 1980 Special, it starts up fine and sounds great, but once I take the choke off, it immediately dies. I've tried warming up it up for about 20-30 minutes, still dies without choke.

I'm guessing it's a carb issue, PO said it recently had rebuilt carbs (but you know how that goes), but I'm wondering if there is a procedure or trick to warming these up that I don't know of?

Like on my old Honda, I would need to warm it up with choke, but then dial up the idle before taking the choke off, otherwise it would die.

thanks,

Aaron

Can you keep it running with the throttle after the choke is off? If so, could just be the idle stop screw is out too far. Sorry if that's too obvious...

Welcome to the site! The 650 is quite the step up. Now you can harass stage 1 Harleys, make'um earn it so to speak.
I'm thinking you will need to clean the pilot jets, but it could be the floats set too low?
Depending your mechanical interests you can get to know your carbs really well by reading this http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf

If you just are interested in getting it running, remove the float bowls. Under the rubber plug is the pilot/idle jet. Unscrew the jet clean it AND the circuit in the carb making sure you have a good stream coming from the holes by the round brass plate in the throttle body. If you want to poke'em out try fishing line or guitar string. Be advised you can increase the size if you are not careful AND the choke jet in the bowl is NOT replaceable.

XJ,

No, I can't keep it running with throttle, I can get maybe one twist off and it dies.

I'll try dialing up the idle stop screw before pushin the choke off, see if that will get it going.

thanks, and no worries, right now nothing is too obvious to me about this bike.

I will say this engine is ballsy as hell. You all probably already have seen this, but when you twist the throttle while it's on the center stand, the whole bike actually will vibrate and start moving around a bit on the stand!

Weekender,

Thanks for the tips and the link, I read that when I first picked up the bike but looks like I'll have to print it out again...

I have had luck dropping the bowls with a stubby phillips screwdriver. If the gaskets are able to be seperated without tearing you can take a look in the bowls. Lots of junk will confirm the need to pull the carbs and do a detailed cleaning. Sometimes you can get to the jets and clean them with removing the carbs and away you go.

Back