Engine Smoking, Now Low Compression

PBenton

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
So...

Let me give some back round. I bought a truck load of XS650 parts and a half cut up frame. After a year and many learning experiences, I finally got my bike running. When I initially checked the compression, it was around 120 to 130psi in both cyliders. After about 15 miles or so of riding, it started to smoke out the left exhaust. So, I went straight to a friends house and compression tested it again. This time the engine was warm. It measured 80 Psi in the left and 115 in the right. I am assuming that this is a combination of worn rings and valves that are not sealing properly.

I'm pretty low on cash, so a complete rebuild is out of the question in the near future. I am getting ready to take the head off and start cleaning and measuring tolerences. Im wondering what some of you guys would do with limited funds to get and engine like this running reliable enough to run around town with. I was thinking of honing and getting 1st oversize rings. Then lapping the valves and changing the valve seals and various gaskets and seals in the top end. Im just not sure what is important and what can wait unitl I have the money to replace. I dont have any experience with these engines.

Paul

You can't put a band-aid fix on worn rings or valve seats,valves,guide seals,etc, Forget about lapping valves and seats,it does absolutely nothing in correcting worn out or rounded valve faces or seats. A local machine shop shouldn't charge more $35 to 45 to professional freshen up your head. Don't half ass it, take the time to save your money up.

Back