Ergonomics of the ride

A 400 mile day is about it for me. But I can do several in a row without having to resort to chemical help.

Edit:
Wasn't sure about the question at first. I thought you were asking how far one might go and still be able to get off and walk.
For comfort mods the "special hump" was cut off. A short back rest that slides in the mounting. Sheepskin. Forward pegs. Spitfire windshield. Short bars taken from a standard, not sure what kind of styling European maybe? When I can get roundtoit maybe one of the gel pads under the foam like Grizld1 has described.

Last edited:
i've always found that a more sport touring posture works best for me, otherwise a driver backrest is in order. i've also found that a firmer seat works wonders, not as comfortable initially but it'll keep your ass in fine shape through the ride. i've tried the Airhawk seat pad without too much luck, but my girlfriend absolutely loves the thing - so i guess its user dependent (likely you have to have that thing called an ass, which i'm lacking).

i was surprised by how much even a small windshield helps, especially on these older bikes that put your chest directly into the wind, may not improve comfort much but definitely cuts down on rider fatigue

I recently bought a National Cycle Street EX windshield. I have never before used a windshield. After taking a few short rides, I can only say, Wow!; these windshield contraptions really are a great idea. If you plan to ride for more than 2 or 3 hours per day, a windshield will be your friend.

I've found out that broad seats and an Airhawk pad works VERY well. A bit forward lean is nice too, so you don't relax too much in the back.

A back protector will support your back too. Not too many rides, my long dayrides have mostly been in the alps, where distance is shorter per day.

I've found out that broad seats and an Airhawk pad works VERY well. A bit forward lean is nice too, so you don't relax too much in the back.

A back protector will support your back too. Not too many rides, my long dayrides have mostly been in the alps, where distance is shorter per day.
do you mean a back support? like the ones people wear to lift stuff? I wear on of those on planned long trips, but usually they arent planned.
I switched out my stock zuki marauder foam seat for a saddleman profiler, and it is innitially firmer than the stocker, but keeps my ass in line with the gell pad in it.
windsheilds are great too, but they sometimes dont add to the styling. I wear a full face helmet most of the time. cuts wind noise, no stinging from sand, gravel bugs thrown up by jackasses in cars that hug the lines in the road.

Back