Buying a 1978 xs650 on Tuesday. Need guidance!

Hello Everyone! New to the forum here.

I’m buying a 1978 xs650 on Tuesday and was wondering what I should be looking for since this is my second season and I don’t have much buying experience.

I’m coming from a 1982 Honda Cm250 and the guys I bought it from treating the thing pretty badly. I took it in and got it running and it was a great little bike for my first season but it was too small for me ergonomically and I wanted a bigger bike because I hate riding in the city and would prefer to do longer trips into the country on weekends.

I’ve been looking at this bike for a while now and when I saw one for a reasonable price I jumped! I’m really excited about it and I have some experience of what to look out for, but.

Are there any problems with this bike that I should look out for?

I’ll provide some pictures. It looks really clean. Chrome is in great condition and I’ve spoken to the guy about recent service.

Just looking for some insight into this bike!

P.s. based on my research it looks like a 1979 and not a 1978 but I could be wrong.

P.p.s. Sorry for the long post!
View attachment 244303View attachment 244304View attachment 244302
Saw the ad for this bike and looks like a good deal. If you want me to have a quick look at it once you get it, I’d be happy to do that for you. I’m in Oakville. PM me if I can help in any way.

Make a list..............

If you know how to work a muti meter and test the battery for charge, when the bike is sitting, engine off, at engine idle and what it increases to at 3,000 rev should increase to 14-14.2/3 volt at 3000 revs. Below 13 volt mean the rotor is on the way or is out. ...................Not a big issue, easy to replace and about $130.00 for a Jim's rewind, less with an exchange core.

Just talking to a seller can indicate their genuineness.

First question i would ask is................What they have done to the bike,.........don't interrupt encourage more answers with a couple of questions............. They have changed the bars, so, if they don't mention that then ask about them.........."are they original???" .............................and ask if they changed the cables to shorter ones and did that create problems.

Can they back it up with recites............even those who say they don't record how much they spend on their bikes will have a record/recites of the parts spent. That is mot of us. or some people will jot down when they do oil change and other normal maintenance...............so this part of the conversation is a good indication of the seller being genuine.................
.if they go off on a tangent along the lines of what they want to do to the bike, (alter it. brat it, along those lines}, haven't done it but it would look cool for you to do, they are projecting. ..........If that i what they like they would have done it.....

The bike looks like it has been well looked after. Tyres.............600 klm's.

Question, how often does he ride the bike...............how old are the tyres..............recites??........Yes great, No check the tyre date tamp. This can be an indication because tyres sold new can be a couple or more years old when bought new. Older if they have been bought over the net. .............These things have to be weighed up on the spot and not necessarily made in stone................but also if the tyre had a manufacturing date over 7 years old then new tyres are required. Can be a bargaining chip. ........................."tyres look good but are so old they are not safe, i need to spend money on a new set, adding to the cost of the bike right now"

Q;, Condition of the chain and sprockets.

Gauges look good, Red hans't faded and the center tower has good decals. ..............

.Q; original gauge cups are chrome. The question to ask is............"have these been painted or replaced. If replaced, the gauge may have been as well, meaning the mileage cannot be relied upon. If the cups have been painted the gauge may be original.

Ask if the cam chain front guide has been replaced. If not it is something that needs to be on the lookout for when doing oil changes. They de-laminate/disintegrate and the plastic part drops into the sump. Age does this, the engine need to come out if the frame and top end removed to replace the guide. Not real difficult or big money but the can chain is usually recommended to be replaced at the same time.

These are some of the things to weigh up against the price asked in conjunction with the overall condition and if the bike has had its regular maintenance done.

make a list of some of the things in my post.

Going off the pics it look like a good bike. If the right handle bar switch doesn't have a light on/off switch it indicates the bike is a 79. Bout the only difference between the 78 and 79, Specials, is the 78 has a headlight on/off switch and 79 doesn't

Judging by the nubs, he's prolly correct about the mileage, but that's only half the story. On the sidewall is an oval with 4 numbers in it. The first two are week and the second two are year of manufacture. For instance the one below was made in the 10th week of 2017. You'll want to be leery of tires that are more than about 5yrs old. They'll easily go past that, but if you don't know their history, you'll be rolling the dice.
Heat and UV light are big killers of tires. Tires in a hot climate will be about used up at 5 yrs. Tires kept outside (in the driveway) will be exposed to a lot of UV light... and pretty much done after 4 or 5 yrs.
The tires on my bike are so old, you guys would freak out if I told ya how old.... :wink2:... but I know their history, when they were mounted and how they were stored, so I have no problem running with 'em. But as I said, if you don't know the age and the history, you're rollin' the dice.

On the other hand, new tires ain't that expensive, just make sure the selling price reflects their age.

View attachment 244328
New tires cost considerably less than your insurance deductible if you have an E.R. visit from a high speed belt separation/flat.

I think we’re saying tires shouldn’t be a deal breaker. They’re a routine wear item. When I bought my bike new, the tires lasted only a few months. You’ll be able to evaluate the tires when you get the bike home. Maybe start a separate thread on your tires. Post the date code and you will receive good opinions to consider.

I think we’re saying tires shouldn’t be a deal breaker. They’re a routine wear item. When I bought my bike new, the tires lasted only a few months. You’ll be able to evaluate the tires when you get the bike home. Maybe start a separate thread on your tires. Post the date code and you will receive good opinions to consider.

Yes and no, Yes they are a wear item but a worn, or out of date set of tyres adds to the purchase price, same as the chain and sprockets. I take those things into consideration and will bargain on the price using them. same as any costs associated with the bikes registration. Without any it is another up front cost. Individually may not be a lot but collectivly???................The price might reflect the fact, there will be upfront costs, and at some point the purchaser is going to have to pend money in 2,3 maybe 6 months or could be longer on these normal wear items.

Back