How far can I get without welding?

A10berg

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My first bike ever was a stock 79 xs650. Looking at buying one again, this time to make it my own.

I am comfortable with just about any maintenance up to welding, frame modification, and fabrication. I’m not opposed to cutting the frame down some, though, if it’s not going to mess with its structural integrity.

I’d like to shoot for something between a bobber and bratsyle. Single bobber style seat, but don’t need a hardtail. The triumph bobber, with the seat in the higher position is the closest factory example I can think of. Still, I don’t necessarily need the frame tilted back like that.

So, how close can I get without major frame modification? Should I press on and see what I can put together or start making friends with folks who know how to weld?

Hi @A10berg welcome to the madhouse. Well, your interesting first post raises a number of, uhm, philosophical points. It's clear you want to ride something special and there's a number of ways to achieve that.

You could look out for something kinda like you want to ride and buy it. Once it's yours, maybe see what you could change or modify to put your stamp on the bike.

You could buy an off-the-peg frame kit - the people that sell you the frame will probably have a host of parts that fit to let you build your dream. Probably involve some spannering and shopping around but definitely an achievable route.

You could go to a builder who will listen to your ideas and then talk you outa them. Just kidding, who will then build the bike to your spec. No expertise required but obviously gonna cost a fair bit.

Heck, if welding looks like a road block, you could bite the bullet, buy a welder and do a welding course. A mate of mine had a car that failed its MoT - annual check - so he went and bought a welder. The instructions said, practice on an old piece of rusty metal, so Gordon took a good look at his old Renault and got stuck in there . . .

It all just comes down to time, skills, knowledge and money. You got the time and skills, not much money needed. But got enough money, no time or skills needed.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

Last edited:
Just learn to weld! It's really not difficult, it's one of those things you can learn in 20 minutes, then spend a lifetime getting better at. It's also a great way to ensure you'll never be unemployed! 😄

😂 Maybe that’s what I needed to hear! Welding certainly feels intimidating at the moment. But thinking back to opening up my old xs when I was younger, that felt intimidating too.

😂 Maybe that’s what I needed to hear! Welding certainly feels intimidating at the moment. But thinking back to opening up my old xs when I was younger, that felt intimidating too.

Sorry to be anti .But welding Motorcycle frames as a " Learn on the Job " project can mean personal injury or loss of life even
I have welded some myself stick mostly ---but been working at a Excavator factory around professionals
And in Process industry Piping Where even licensed experts sometimes gets enclosures that the X ray catches.
Not allowed to pressurize before that is fixed

Welding is a shit method damaging the metal and have defects But can work reasonable well ..And be done more or less bad.
Some can weld frames ..Others not.

I would not weld frames myself I would find someone that does it on a regular basis and pay him some for it . At the excavator factory was one welding Chopper frames at home. .He manufactured fixtures and clamping tables and had welded professionally for at least + 10 years.

Weld a little att other things first ..se how turns out.

That is exactly why it is intimidating. Not interested in taking the first thing I weld on the highway at 65-70mph. I don’t have a death wish.

The more I think about it, the more resolve I have to not modify the frame for the bike I’m considering putting together. Still, it’s interesting considering learning to weld and the options that opens up for the future.

Back