First chopper build... HELP!

Cam4557

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_2017-05-18-23-15-53.png
20170518_195228.jpg
Hello, my name is Cameron. Ive been into the motorcycle scene for a while and was recently gifted one complete 75 xs650 engine and the majority of another one. My final goal for my first bike build is a xs650 chopper but due to financial issues i cannot obtain the parts that i need fast enough. Im willing to trade any extra parts necessary for the few pieces i need to complete thia first engine starting with gaskets!

Hi Cam and welcome,
seems you need a complete licenseable rolling chassis to go with your engine.
Like they said, the list's classifieds section is your friend here.
As you are strapped for cash I'd advise against buying aftermarket alternator and ignition systems
The stock systems work fine and are easy to fix if they quit.
And if that was my engine bench I'd X-brace it at the back so it don't hinge sideways.
That power unit is no lightweight.

Hi Cam and welcome,
seems you need a complete licenseable rolling chassis to go with your engine.
Like they said, the list's classifieds section is your friend here.
As you are strapped for cash I'd advise against buying aftermarket alternator and ignition systems
The stock systems work fine and are easy to fix if they quit.
And if that was my engine bench I'd X-brace it at the back so it don't hinge sideways.
That power unit is no lightweight.
Thank man. It came with one complete stock frame, wheels, handle bars, and some electric so i took notice of the tc bros hardtail weld on kit and just happen to have a welder in the family(which i feel like im going to have to learn to do if im going to be doing such work) that can do the job at a decent price. I may not have $2,000 to just drop on parts, fab and all that and it may take $20 a time and some nice hand shake trades here and there to build but dammit i will have my own hand built chopper by any and all means necessary. ✊

I have some extra bars,, no apes though,, If ya want I can send ya images. One set is 1.25" drag bars necked to 1" for standard controls,, I even have the risers. I also have rear 16" mag complete,, various odds and ends from my build.
Like someone said,, put your wish list in the classifieds. LOTS of stuff there.

I know your ultimate goal is to go hardtail, but if l read correctly, you seem to have the parts to a make a complete ridable bike. Another option would be to assemble the pieces, make sure the engine and carbs work properly, enjoy it this summer, and then do your mods over the winter.

Thank man. It came with one complete stock frame, wheels, handle bars, and some electric so i took notice of the tc bros hardtail weld on kit and just happen to have a welder in the family(which i feel like im going to have to learn to do if im going to be doing such work) that can do the job at a decent price. I may not have $2,000 to just drop on parts, fab and all that and it may take $20 a time and some nice hand shake trades here and there to build but dammit i will have my own hand built chopper by any and all means necessary. ✊

Hi Cam,
your post #1 said you'd been given enough parts to build an engine and now post #6 admits you also have a frame to put it in.
And you want to build a hardtail chopper out of it. If you have another bike to ride, fine, create your rolling artwork as a delight to behold.
But don't try riding it very far.
Remember those close-ups in the Rocky movies showing a boxing glove hitting a contestant's face all out of shape and mucous flying all over?
That's your backside on a hardtail.
I'm with musket, build up what you have so it all works nice. Then pull the rear shocks, put struts there instead and do a test ride.

Hi Cam,
your post #1 said you'd been given enough parts to build an engine and now post #6 admits you also have a frame to put it in.
And you want to build a hardtail chopper out of it. If you have another bike to ride, fine, create your rolling artwork as a delight to behold.
But don't try riding it very far.
Remember those close-ups in the Rocky movies showing a boxing glove hitting a contestant's face all out of shape and mucous flying all over?
That's your backside on a hardtail.
I'm with musket, build up what you have so it all works nice. Then pull the rear shocks, put struts there instead and do a test ride.
Right on man. I was actually wondering about how rough a rigid frame ride was.

Also realize, before you start spending and get committed.......these bikes may take great pictures.....but in the real world they are tiny, not small, but tiny compared to most peoples idea of a small bike, and even more so when hard tailed..

Scott

Right on man. I was actually wondering about how rough a rigid frame ride was.
Also realize, before you start spending and get committed.......these bikes may take great pictures.....but in the real world they are tiny, not small, but tiny compared to most peoples idea of a small bike, and even more so when hard tailed..
Scott

Hi Cam,
I started riding in the 1950s and all I could afford back then was pre- WW2 Britbikes that had rigid frames and girder forks.
Compared to the ride available on the hydraulic telefork & rear shock post-war bikes of the wealthy being on those old rigids
was like being ridden out of town on a rail.
IMHO putting front & rear hydraulic-damped suspension on motorcycles was the best upgrade since the front brake.
And with their unspring seats bolted hard onto the frame and their feet forward leaning back riding position the ride on
modern hardtails must be harsher yet.
And Scott,
whaddya mean, tiny? Kawi 90s & BSA Bantams are tiny. Corgis (the bike, look it up) are ridiculously tiny.
Compared to H-D & H-D Clone 2-wheel Winnibagos XS650s are in the Goldilocks zone, their size is just right.

Hi Cam,
I started riding in the 1950s and all I could afford back then was pre- WW2 Britbikes that had rigid frames and girder forks.
Compared to the ride available on the hydraulic telefork & rear shock post-war bikes of the wealthy being on those old rigids
was like being ridden out of town on a rail.
IMHO putting front & rear hydraulic-damped suspension on motorcycles was the best upgrade since the front brake.
And with their unspring seats bolted hard onto the frame and their feet forward leaning back riding position the ride on
modern hardtails must be harsher yet.
And Scott,
whaddya mean, tiny? Kawi 90s & BSA Bantams are tiny. Corgis (the bike, look it up) are ridiculously tiny.
Compared to H-D & H-D Clone 2-wheel Winnibagos XS650s are in the Goldilocks zone, their size is just right.
Still going through with the tc bros hardtail but looking at diff seat styles such as springs, shocks and others to make it a smoother ride. Thanks for the good info and positive motivation.

Still going through with the tc bros hardtail but looking at diff seat styles such as springs, shocks and others to make it a smoother ride. Thanks for the good info and positive motivation.

028.JPG

TC Bros hard tail, seat with 5" springs, the bottom of the springs are bolted solid to threaded bungs, the seat studs have one nut and one jam nut, then the spring goes on over those two nuts, then washer and nut. The top of the spring is mounted loose like this because the seats studs are at an angle that wouldn't allow a solid mounting with the 5" springs. This should give me close to stock seating position with the foot pegs mounted where they are.

Scott

Last edited:
I had 5" springs like that on my chop at first. Very tilty. And bouncy. Go with the 3"ers. I have a 2003 suzy marauder, unmolested sprung suspension. Both feel the same.

I would think that a tilty seat would have more to do with the sturdiness or the sloppiness of the front seat mount than the length of the springs.

Back