Fishing at it's best

I was watching an Osprey in the Lake District last week,fascinating birds, didnt see them catch a single fish though! Excellent link,thanks for that , Ill be adding that site to my art reference list.

That is sure a super video. I love to see birds in the wild. The osprey is quite common in Canada.

Just 3 weeks ago I made a motorcycle trip through south east British Columbia (Kootenays/Oganagan). In a remote area near the town of Nakusp and Arrow Lake, I saw many osprey nests on the top of wood power poles.

Attachments

• Osprey nest.jpg
    Osprey nest.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Arrow Lake near Nakusp.jpg
    Arrow Lake near Nakusp.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 106
great. I had an osprey smack down right next to me while fishing the Green at Flaming Gorge. It was awesome. He got the trout too. I felt like Marlin Perkins.

Damn fine place to fish & hunt Joel....Often had our camp at a favorite spot near the Manilla Junction both before and after the dam was built. Good place to watch the Osprey's feed the Golden Eagles as well to this day isn't it?

Old wet chemisty metallurgical materials guy myself btw @ USSteel way back. Best, Blue

PS....Go Rockies! Please

Hey Blue,

Before I went back for the metallurgy degree, I was Chief Chemist at ABEX AMSCO foundry in Denver. We made Hadfield's steel and high chrome white iron castings for RR frogs and ore crushers. My job was to grab a fresh hot sample ingot, make chips with a big drill press, dissolve them in acids, and run wet chemistry while they waited with the furnace loads for the results. Chrome, manganese, moly, nickel, silicon, carbon, sulfur. I got the Cr, Mn, carbon while they waited. Took about 15 min. The other elements were done later. Then after we made and poured about 5 to 10 heats, i had to run chemistries on the final bars for all of them. Later, we got an emission spec. I started at 9pm and got out around 6 to 9am. Electric arc furnaces.

I damned near ran over a flock of vultures the other day. Didn't have time to see what they were eating. Or as some idiots call them, Black Eagles. Osprey are rare here but Bald Eagles and Red Tailed Hawks are becoming common place.

Wow, weve got nothing as good as those birds! We do have a heck of a lot of Red Kites over our house though (re-introduced & breeding like mad)& some Buzzards( Not the Vultures you Yanks call 'Buzzards',these are real Buzzards)

Sorry for the delay in responding Joel....USSteel was trying to get a Mass Spec. to work
on the floor of the open hearths which was a definite no go back in the day. We about shook it to death with the all the vibration.

Sounds like we were doing much of the same stuff in those days. Some buddies of mine went from Geneva to Lander, Wyoming when they all moved there to start up an Iron Ore mining & prilling operation in the Wind River area near Atlantic "City"? Old mining town
fabulous fishing area btw. Considered moving up there as well very appealing to a young outdoorsman. Not so a young wife mother then.

Still like the area a lot however.

Best, Blue

Last edited:
We have a bunch of ospreys here in Delaware. At Cape Henlopen State Park, they have an "Osprey Cam". It's on during the spring into summer and is great to watch.
Here's the link to the State Park and the Opsrey Program. The cam is off now due to the time of year. The "Cam" is in the text box to the left of the osprey photo.
http://www.destateparks.com/park/cape-henlopen/osprey.asp

I was watching an Osprey in the Lake District last week,fascinating birds, didnt see them catch a single fish though! Excellent link,thanks for that , Ill be adding that site to my art reference list.

Back of Bassenthwaite lake per chance?

I'm sorry but here is fishing at its best. Willing to take salmon from a bear!

Exellent pregrid, That second one got me laughing when the osprey started to shake him self and trying to fly at the same time.

Back