Project "McQueen1"

I think I found them, or at least something very similar .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2647989330...lp:2332490&itmmeta=01HWPJYPJB524WK04H2G77BE8R

I have been using truck shock boots or "gaiters" for many, many years. They work great and basically never wear out. I also like the fact that you can customize the length to anything you need. On a "bare" fork, I cut them down to 8 bellows .....

83Gaiters.jpg

But once I add a fork brace, that makes them sit higher and I have to shorten them by one bellow, down to 7 .....

ATKForkBrace83-4.jpg

Although they fit well enough that no clamps are needed, I do add them at the bottom, mainly for looks .....

78GaitersBrace.jpg

Looking nice. Truck shock boots, that is pretty smart. Haven't thought of that one.
I simply searched for the correct size (diameters and length) and found the right one. And I am very satisfied with the fit. Like you said they fit well enough. They are tight but do stretch a little bit to the proper fit.

Made only a little bit of progress tonight because I had to fix the A/C this afternoon, that was top priority for the wife.
I fixed the busted oil screen and finished the oil change.
Took the carbs off and checked cam chain tensioner adjustment.
While the carbs were off, I checked the jet sizes. Not surprised, the pilot seems too big. (starting a separate thread on this)

I forgot to mention in this thread that the charging circuit was INOP once I got her running. A quick diagnostic process pointed at a malfunctioning regulator in the joint regulator/rectifier assembly. Ordered a new one, replaced it, bike is charging now. And while I was at it, I made an upgrade to the FE coil to fully float it to be able to use any regulator I needed. More information in this thread.

Got her inspected on Friday so now I gotta go to the DMV (where I broke their computer system last time, LOL) and need to get an actual Texas plate for her.
Then I will be allowed to ride her on the road. Woo!

And of course then more work ahead of me. But I'll save that for the summer months when it's too hot to ride anyway so I'll turn on the (newly replaced) AC in the shop and work on her to finish the customization. And then I can take more pictures and post them here. I know y'all like pictures.

Back