Memory Lane

If you can find the chicken lips (lower side covers) that bit will be covered up and virtually invisible. I have the lower frame covers that they slide into and will gladly donate them to the cause.
Thanks so much! That's a back up I'll take you up on if I'm wrong -- I *think I have the lower side cover(s)? I remember taking off one, anyway. By now the parts were getting considerably less organized (And I needed to reset the hot tub after a power outage) -- opening the lid would ahve been a disaster. Working on a new series, title "101 uses for a Pool Table" -- sorted by new parts, WIP (Work In Progress), done, needs done, and MUST find my parts cleaner! (Or give up and buy a new empty paint can with a strainer basket).

1708884445725.png
1708884620227.png
1708884522403.png

Thanks so much! That's a back up I'll take you up on if I'm wrong -- I *think I have the lower side cover(s)? I remember taking off one, anyway. By now the parts were getting considerably less organized (And I needed to reset the hot tub after a power outage) -- opening the lid would ahve been a disaster. Working on a new series, title "101 uses for a Pool Table" -- sorted by new parts, WIP (Work In Progress), done, needs done, and MUST find my parts cleaner! (Or give up and buy a new empty paint can with a strainer basket).

View attachment 262510 View attachment 262512View attachment 262511
You’re very well organized. I usually throw parts in a box and try to figure out where they came from later. On the rear edge of the engine case cover, you could trim it back to get rid of the bite marks but if dont want a gap, fill in the divots with some JB Weld with a thin metal backer on the underside. Sand it nice and smooth on the show side and paint a black line parallel to that edge and it should look good. If you get it really smooth you could apply a thin strip of aluminum duct tape over the repair and give it a bit of bling.

You‘re making great progress. The bike should look great when completed!

IMG_4165.png

Arrggghhhh... cleaning the mass of small parts and noticed the push-rod (?) from the kickstand that activates the kill switch has a ragged end on the rubber boot. Likely the rest of it's needing to be dug out of a pit of old grease and grit. Need to order a new rubber boot but I swear it's not on this diagram -- which likely means I'm looking right at it. Anyone know what it's proper name is? Think it should be connecting to #24. I didn't get a good look at it before it bounced off my forehead.

1708917005525.png

1708916553965.png

You’re very well organized. I usually throw parts in a box and try to figure out where they came from later. On the rear edge of the engine case cover, you could trim it back to get rid of the bite marks but if dont want a gap, fill in the divots with some JB Weld with a thin metal backer on the underside. Sand it nice and smooth on the show side and paint a black line parallel to that edge and it should look good. If you get it really smooth you could apply a thin strip of aluminum duct tape over the repair and give it a bit of bling.

You‘re making great progress. The bike should look great when completed!

View attachment 262527
LOL. Same here. They were just thrown in bins all over the garage (especially on top of the hot tub cover). Today's mission was to sort and organize -- according to New Parts, Cleaned, Not Yet, and Try Again. (What PART of the bike they came off of might have been more useful...) Point to note -- the organization attempt might also have been pressured due to it getting hard to get my car in the garage. Bill's side is safe. Not going to risk greasy paw prints on his Vette. And great idea on the metal tape -- found a roll while looking for the blue masking earlier. I'll try that once I get the burrs off.

It's on the electrical page. #34... comes as part of the switch assy. No longer available unfortunately.

1708917637981.png

It's on the electrical page. #34... comes as part of the switch assy. No longer available unfortunately.

View attachment 262550
Ahha! Thanks so much. I'm thinking it's worth the extra to get the new one. Already have 40+ year old parts, ya know?

My diagram was from Babbits -- https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/l/yam/500423ddf8700209bc787bcf/1983-xs650sk-parts
Same OEM Yamaha diagrams as Partzilla, but they're all linked to a central page with headings so I can right click and open several diagrams at once. Usually shop EBay or Mikes, though some things I've only found at Partzilla.

Last edited:
My diagram was from Babbits.
https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/l/yam/500423ddf8700209bc787bcf/1983-xs650sk-parts
Same OEM Yamaha diagrams as Partzilla, but they're all linked to a central page with headings so I can right click and open several diagrams at once. Usually shop EBay or Mikes, though some things I've only found at Partzilla.
Yeah, both have their advantages. I like Babbits for the reasons you mentioned. I like Partzilla 'cause it lists all the other bikes a part came on. Before I order anything, I'll usually look at both and see which is tellin' the truth.
Mikes is hit and miss... mostly miss. I think of 'em as a place of last resort. Be sure and ask here before you order something from 'em. Someone will usually know if it's worth havin' or not.

OEM manuals are downloadable from our Tech menu at the top of the page. Not sure if that one's there or not though...

The lower side cover on a Heritage Special makes that engine cover damage invisible.

View attachment 262528
Yes! I know I have that one -- just sorted it into the "Dishwasher soap" cleaning category. Don't remember pulling a lower cover on the off side, though there is a covered compartment with the OEM chain/lock. Tomorrow's project: pull all the OEM emblems (Which the man will then snatch up to detail).

Yeah, both have their advantages. I like Babbits for the reasons you mentioned. I like Partzilla 'cause it lists all the other bikes a part came on. Before I order anything, I'll usually look at both and see which is tellin' the truth.
Mikes is hit and miss... mostly miss. I think of 'em as a place of last resort. Be sure and ask here before you order something from 'em. Someone will usually know if it's worth havin' or not.

OEM manuals are downloadable from our Tech menu at the top of the page. Not sure if that one's there or not though...
There was a link to a page for the main manual, but no manual. Did download a bunch of supplements. Maybe I can upload mine there if the software does what I want it to. Scanned copies can be hit or miss.

So far I've done OK with Mike's I think /knock wood, but I did a web search with the OEM part numbers and compared the various results visually and by number. Only thing looks a tad iffy is the oil drain plug crimp washers. They look HUGE. Not pulled the plug yet. Hopefully I'm wrong.

The best thing you can do with that sidestand switch is eliminate it, lol. Due to it's location under the bike, it's subjected to water and dirt kicked up from the road, and they go bad. The problem is, they act upon the ignition unit, killing it when they are triggered. So, if it goes bad, the bike loses spark, lol. Eliminating it is simple, no jumper wires needed or anything. Simply remove it AND the relay it plugs into. You must remove the relay too because it has two "triggers" (neutral light and that switch). If you just remove the switch, the relay will still be worked by the neutral light and the bike will only run in neutral, lol.

The best thing you can do with that sidestand switch is eliminate it, lol. Due to it's location under the bike, it's subjected to water and dirt kicked up from the road, and they go bad. The problem is, they act upon the ignition unit, killing it when they are triggered. So, if it goes bad, the bike loses spark, lol. Eliminating it is simple, no jumper wires needed or anything. Simply remove it AND the relay it plugs into. You must remove the relay too because it has two "triggers" (neutral light and that switch). If you just remove the switch, the relay will still be worked by the neutral light and the bike will only run in neutral, lol.
Almost left the broken piece in place, since it's in the "open" or stand up mode. Found a 20+ year old new OEM. Will use that until it dies, then remove it if I have to, but I have been known to forget to kick up the kickstand.

Yes! I know I have that one -- just sorted it into the "Dishwasher soap" cleaning category. Don't remember pulling a lower cover on the off side, though there is a covered compartment with the OEM chain/lock. Tomorrow's project: pull all the OEM emblems (Which the man will then snatch up to detail).
Man got to the tank and emblems before I did. pulled the emblems and detailed. Touched up 40 years of road dings. Looks pretty damn good. (And he cooks, too!) :D

1709179038368.png

First Blood. Bike won this round. Apparently "Fast acting" Blaster penetrating oil takes more than 30 minutes. Socket wrench slipped off the right side outer exhaust bolt last night. Way overbalanced. Face planted into the frame. Going to have a couple shiners by this time tomorrow. Good news: gonna match the hair. Bad news: Exhaust bolts still got to come off. Half the cross pipe's band clamp was dangling in space. Now it's become a cat toy. Got to come off to get it to my favorite welding shop. Better news: Assembly /Shop Manual came today. Made a copy to preserve the aging original, then scanned that to PDF. Going to try to upload here.

Back