New Member, Bringing Thumper Back To Life.

Always wanted one Keven but way out of my price range. Used to watch the commercials just to see the crazy things you could do with it.
I bought mine years ago for a job I do several times a year. It's other uses made it entirely worthwhile. That being said I do see them reasonably priced in garage sales and thrift shops. So an XS 650 motor comes in around 150lbs/70kg. A 6' or 8" Step ladder will do the trick if you are lifting the motor in or out while the bike is laying down. Good luck.

Thanks, it's slow goin but I get a few days for Christmas and New Years coming up. Wrenchin :)

Heres a 74 for inspiration, with lots of time and $$$$$$ anything can be brought back to life.. Mine had seat that looked like you could still sit on it though, albeit not the one it finished with. Mine also had air conditioning compliments of an errant chain.

Attachments

• 374313034_3624308134495873_7856610171338918133_n.jpg
    374313034_3624308134495873_7856610171338918133_n.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 359437738_3588581628068524_4850308291941790472_n.jpg
    359437738_3588581628068524_4850308291941790472_n.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
She actually had a foam covered seat but time sun rain and winter removed it for me.
I found some firm and soft foam for a base and I have a tanned deer hide for a cover.
First I'm gonna try on a too wide solo seat I want to narrow that came with my sporty then try and make it interchangeable between the two.

Heres a 74 for inspiration, with lots of time and $$$$$$ anything can be brought back to life.. Mine had seat that looked like you could still sit on it though, albeit not the one it finished with. Mine also had air conditioning compliments of an errant chain.
Really nice bike! :thumbsup: I'm going more old school theme though. Curious about the braced fender.
I see a lot of 75S with them but not mine. Mid year change or adapted by the owners, would you know?

Really nice bike! :thumbsup: I'm going more old school theme though. Curious about the braced fender.
I see a lot of 75S with them but not mine. Mid year change or adapted by the owners, would you know?

You have a 35mm front end off a later model, (78-81), with mag wheels that had a one piece guard with no braces. Rear wheel, (16"), also look to be off a later model XS.

This use of a multi position ladder is a great idea. Never thought of this before.
I think I posted pictures of it lifting the back end of my Blue Tracker to change shocks. The Tracker has no center stand and the exhaust has to come off to fit on my floor lift so I put the ladder in A-frame mode and lifted with a pair of ratchet straps on the left and rightupper frame rails.

You have a 35mm front end off a later model, (78-81), with mag wheels that had a one piece guard with no braces. Rear wheel, (16"), also look to be off a later model XS.
Thanks Skull. I didn't know about the forks, must have been a mod by the PO. The front mag came off a doner bike I had, originally it came with spokes.

try magnet on the bits? place in saucer with acetone and examine "forensic" style. I think I have seen such...soaps form between oil and water and metal with time...something like that. Not nice... what pH ? Gritty? Smell?

I forgot to mention, this is from my parts motor. It's been sitting for about 17 years wrapped in an old t shirt covered with a contractor bag on a homemade stand.

1704290269019.png

Many moons ago, I read about some feckless yoof with an old British thumper, as in single cylinder. Had been fitted with a velocity stack, which meant the air filter box was empty. So when he went to visit his parents or whatever, he put his spare kecks and socks in this convenient stowage. All went well until the engine sucked a sock in and stopped . . .

Not about to suggest that detritus is socks after passing through the oil pump but reminded me of this story.

Didn't get to take pictures with the bottom opened up, it was late and dark.
Looked in the morning after blotting with a paper towel, it's kitty kibble lol little fisheys.
The mice must have been stashing the dry cat food in there for later. wonder if I split the cases how many I'll find inside?
None came out with the oil, maybe they were too big to fit.

Happy day sad day, snow's here and that's the end of my riding season.
They sanded like crazy for 1/4' (TWICE) WITH THE BLADE DOWN!!! YAY! BIGGEER POTHOLES NEXT YEAR !:yikes: :mad:
A foot and they don't even come down the road. :mad: Gottta splash my way through it on my own to get to work. BS / Rant over.:(

Anyhoo riding seasons done. Gotta get the sportster in the house then I get to start on Thumper.

The kids gave us a cell so when I figure out how I can post pics I will. ( I'm doing it the hard way now and won't get into all that BS). Anyhow it's been a long time and I really want to start.
Beings I'm going to be doing this outdoors I figured I'd start with the harness first. I can measure then make that inside. I'll send a no coffee warning before I send pics of what I did. originally, honestly I don't remember. HERE WE GO. (And that's how Thumper got her name.) :banghead: :cussing: :mad::umm::banghead::umm::cussing::banghead: Yup, that's how I remember it. Only worse, I still get headaches thanking about it.

Back