Fork id,

Dune19670

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone, im looking for advice on the forks/brakes on my 1977 xs650, which ive just purchased
The frame number is 447-709, so i assume its a really early 77, i assumed it would have 35mm forks, but it has 34mm and i thought it would have a one piece front brake disc, but its a two piece ( also mounted on the left. ) and an older style caliper.
So did the bike come like that or has it been changed some point in its life ??
Thankyou in advance

Attachments

• IMG_3210.jpeg
    IMG_3210.jpeg
    448.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3209.jpeg
    IMG_3209.jpeg
    557.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I'm betting it has an earlier than 1977 front end.

Now I can see the pictures, looks like a 1976 XS650C twin disc front end with the right side disc and caliper missing. I had one back in 1976.

What diameter is the disc?

Last edited:
...and the fork legs were swapped side to side to get the caliper behind the fork leg rather than in front like my 74.

Thankyou MikeG
Will it matter if i use the forks in the reverse orientation? I might do the Brembo caliper swap aswell and run twin discs

Only thing I can think of, is the bleed nipple still at the highest point. If not, you'll have to come up with a way to bleed it by tilting, moving or taking it off to make that the highest point.

I suppose if i swapped the calipers to the 65mm hole pitch Brembos, then the calipers would be correct

Thankyou Guys
Do you think they were still fitting old stock 34mm forks on early 77 bikes or have just been replaced later in life

I suppose if i swapped the calipers to the 65mm hole pitch Brembos, then the calipers would be correct
Early Caliper can be used on either side, although Yamaha did make a left and right, the top bolts can b swapped over and it will bolt on. The tab on the brake pads will foul but a bit of grinding to open up the hole will let them fit. Caution on sourcing parts locally on the front end and if by chance you have to do the top end or more to the motor. Differences here.
https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

Back