Frame and engine model number

apox

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok so I live in canada, and i'm not sure what engine I have, im pretty sure the frame is a 79 special the code/VIN is

3U6-XXXXXX

My engine however is 447-70XXXX

which judging from the xs650mcode PDF says that is a XS-D, 76-77 age.

anybody a master at this stuff because I just dont think that someone put a different engine in this thing.. it looks all original.

Also! just found that I have "Mikuni BS34 CV Carbs" from 80-84 xs650's apparently.. if my engine really is XS-D wont those carbs cause issues? the previous owner only got it to run from time to time, always been something wrong with it, he thought carb sync maybe.

Last edited:
Wow that frame number crosses to an Australian (Oceania) frame? So it seems you have a bit of a Heinz model. No issues with the BS34's on the 76 engine as long as they are mounted on the correct carb holders.
I think it is safe to assume you can trust NOTHING the PO tells you. In a lot of ways that makes things easier. you just start at the beginning and check everything, when you are done it will run. I would confirm the carbs have the correct jets, etc. and replace o-rings, gaskets as needed when you rebuild them.

Why does every model ID chart have something wrong with it? LOL. I just looked at another and 447-70XXX is a '76, the other says '77. That's it, I'm calling Mr.Yamaha!!

In my circumstances could anyone recommend the best simple wiring diagram? I want to by pass the starter, kick only, head light, brake light, blinkers, horn and probably some lights for speedo/etc. As simple as possible!

because ive got the bike basically down to the frame, engine, drive train is still all together but I want to put together a simple wiring harness so I can attempt to get it running again before I do any other work to it.

Thanks

This is what I did and added the horn, signals.

Attachments

• 650wiringchoppervh0.jpg
    650wiringchoppervh0.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 151
With your simple needs, the only real issue is which ignition and charging system are you using. There are several simple diagrams in the tech/ electrical section.

Ok, run into a bit of a problem I think. The previous owner put a new boyer bransden high output coil. Says on it, use with blue box only. What does that mean and can I still use it with the other stock parts? he also put a new advance in the bike. I'm confused about where to go now..

If possible can I put together a wiring harness of JUST the means to start the bike to troubleshoot getting it running. no lights or anything. because this mix match ignition/new advance stuff has got me not knowing what can go with what and so on.

Yes, building a harness to just hear it run is easy, once you figure out what you have for ignition parts.
You have a Boyer coil, Do you have any other parts that say Boyer on them?
Can you post pics of your electrical parts? Maybe we can idenitify them and tell you what goes with what.

Back