Free a seized motor

I love this site, the American/British terms that we all use at home but don't realise what our cross Atlantic cousins use and vice versa, wrist pins we call gudgeon pins, dont ask me why on either i dont know. you say fenders we say mudguards, I love it. The whole thing is we love bikes, oops motorcycles ha ha

Separated by water and a common language, throw in the cousins from down under too.
I joined the old 650rider site back in late '07, methinks, and slipped over to this'n when that site folded. It's been interesting to see how some of the vernacular transposes into the conversations regardless of what land mass we're on.....exchanges in ideas and how to express them. Of course, the keyboard has no accent.......

Aldo was posting as I was editing a book....lol

Often an engine gets stuck because the piton rings seize to the cylinder walls. The crank and bearings might be ok. I would pull the head, remove cam.
Try lifting the jugs up. Try turning the engine with the alternator nut.
If the jugs lift a small amount use shins to support the jugs. Cut a block of wood to just fit down in the cylinder. A close fit to the pistons won't hurt.
Add some penetrating fluid and let set overnight.
Use a hammer, dead blow works well. Tap on each piston, alternate the sides. Don't try to drive both out by driving just one piston. If they move Go as far as you can. Lift the jugs and add more blocking. Repeat till the jugs come off.
Add more penetrant as needed.
I have used this method several times to good effect.
The AFT and acetone is about the best penetrating fluid there is. I don't have a link but there was a test done on all sorts of fluids. WD 40 was way down at the bottom. PB Blaster was somewhere in the middle and the ATF and Acetone was way above everything else.
Leo

Back