Fryin' my Pamcos like a short order cook!

jinkzd

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Gah. Here's my rundown. 81' XS650. Bone stock engine. Rigid frame. Just installed a PMA from HHB last week. Pamco kit from Mikes - don't remember which one, but it came with the ugly yellow wires and the iridium plugs. New Die Hard battery, new wires, new everything electrical basically. Rebuilt carbs, rebuilt clutch.
I Installed everything but the PMA in August with Jon and his crew at Monstercraftsman, shameless plug for a hell of nice bunch of guys, rode for my initial ride about 20 miles and figured my charging system was pretty beat (I think) as it was dying at low RPM, and would seriously die if my lights were on if at idle. While doing some fiddling with it after my initial run, I, uh, got some serious kick back and broke my ankle. Doh.
She sat in the shop until 2 weeks ago.
I got my tax return and sprung for the Hughs PMA. Two kicks and success! Running like a champ. Bright lights, no bog at idle. Loving life. I gave it a couple shakedown runs on country roads, in town, in traffic, and a blast up the interstate with not a hiccup.
I rode it to work that evening, again no issues. 30 miles, 24 on the interstate at 65-70, 6 miles on 25-40 mph roads.
In my way home I was cruising 65 or so, 6 miles from home and lost all power to the ignition.
I got it home checked, everything according to Pamcopetes troubleshooting guide, verified my wiring was correct and intact, and figured my module was fried. I didnt see anything wrong with it though.
I ordered another and installed it today. Sparking like a champ. Went for a test ride and a mile or 2 from home - same thing.
I pulled it apart again and looked at it with a magnifying glass (my eyes are really bad - glaucoma damage) and found both have burned condensers (?).
Does any one have an idea what could be going on here? Ive checked my wiring against all the drawings, have the correct fuse (7.5a) installed, no nicks, shorts, or loose connections. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, or what could be the issue, as I have no freaking clue what that little bastard on the circuit board does or what makes it burn up, but here is a pic of the fried part. Any ideas? Please! I have never felt so clear headed qand able to think as I had when riding this thing in the last week, and I need it back, pronto!
pamco.jpg

Most likely you are getting an excessively high voltage from the PMA regulator. Suggest that you run the engine with the PAMCO wired to a separate battery sitting on the floor, not connected to the electrical system of the bike. Check you battery voltage at high RPM's and look for a voltage in excess of 16 Volts. Wait for the battery to recharge after the start for best results.

When you installed the PMA did you check the battery voltage? If not your reg/rec may be bad and overcharging. The too high a voltage could be what's burning up the resisters.
That's just a guess omn my part.
If Pamcopete sees this thread he might have a better idea of the problem. Maybe send him a PM. Or contact him at his websight.
Leo

Ah...that explains it! Just kidding, I'm an electronics idiot. I did just look on wiki and got some info, that it provides resistance, but for what and what is frying that one in particular is above my knowledge and skills set right now. I don't want to seem like an idiot, I just don't understand circuit boards and the components. Any ideas?

Im three posts behind! Not to sound dumb, but how can I run this thing with no ignition? Is there a way to test my regulator standing alone?

Yep, cracked my talus bone in half! 8 weeks of healing. It still is a bit funky and gives me pain every morning. It was a bit comical, as my wife watched it happen, but had no idea I hurt myself. She saw a kick, and me hit the floor. Then came the "what the hell is wrong is wrong with you!" "What is wrong!!" "Get up!" "are you messing with me!".........as I was crawling away trying to hide under my workbench so she would leave me alone for a minute....

Another ignition at least. Maybe you can send the ones you have to Pamcopete and he can repair them.
It might be cheaper than buying a new one.
The only checks yopu could do without the bike running is the wiring itself, as in is it wired right. Checking all the grounds. To test the output you need to have it running.
Leo

Thanks Leo. I PM'd Pete. It will get straightened out, I'm sure. I just have a hard time not knowing the root cause of things, especially when I don't understand them, like with electronics!

Back