Hard Tail comfort

here's my take on it.... 23psi in the rear tire.. NO rear suspension, NO seat springs, NO seat pad.. great bar hopper, great around town blaster, after about 45-50 miles---- STUPID!!!!!!! but that's just me.

Attachments

• AceOfSpades1.jpg
    AceOfSpades1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 140
  • xs650.jpg
    xs650.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 151
Hi there, I totally prefer hardtails but in my case the objective is also about the lines im trying to achieve with whatever chop im building.
I have been riding hardtails since 1979.

It is not as bad as you may think, in fact on many reasonable surfaced roads you might not even notice the difference as the front suspension absorbs a lot. (you WILL notice potholes though, and if it too late to avoid then best to try take the weight of the seat by pushing down with your feet - unless you have fwd controls.. in which case you just have to suck it up ha ha..)

I dont like sprung seats either, and find with a seat made for rigid frames the handling 'feel' for the bike is improved. But then this is all a matter of preference.

I agree also about slightly lower pressure in the rear tyre. (I usually run a 16" rear and ..not low profile).

The idea about 'trialing' the idea using struts isnt a bad one and is a very quick and cheap way of doing that.

But if you're building a chop then - in my opinion - rigid is the only way to go.

cheers,
G.

Those who have mentioned the low pressure in the rear tire on hardtails are right. On my panhead, the manual says the proper pressure for the rear 5.00 x 16" tire is 16 PSI! At that pressure it absorbs a lot of the bumps. No, you cannot use a low profile tire. The rubber and air is what keeps you from getting a bent rim. I would never run low profile tires anyway. They look like something that belongs on a zoom-splat. Yeah, I know, it's a matter of taste. On my Indian I have a 3.75 x 18 on the rear. I run that at 25 PSI.
As I said in my earlier post, I am very used to riding hard tail bikes. Still, I don't think I will change my XS650 to a hard tail. I like the way it handles just fine as is. Those who explained that replacing the rear shocks with struts will NOT duplicate the riding characteristics of a hard tail are right. You will end up with a bike that handles worse than it did with the rear shocks, but without the shock absorbtion. It won't have a proper hard tail seat, either sprung or well padded, so you will just wind up with a bike that is more uncomfortable than a real hardtail, and will not handle as well as a real hardtail. Still, if you can take that, you can be sure that you will be able to tolerate a real hard tail. In fact, after struts, you will find it a GREAT improvement.

i always found myself avoiding roads way to much with it. As soon as it gets rough i found i put to much focus on avoiding small cracks and bumps in the road.

hi guys well me and my so-in-law put together a bobber this yr and we used a tc bros hardtail and i love it iam 52 and have a fake hip and still ride all the time we put stock under the seat it is fun for around town and i get alot of looks at the bobber but i cant ride it for more then 1 or 2 hrs and iam getting off it but i love to ride and have fun with it --- i will try to put some pic on here if i can :bike:

Attachments

• DSCN0630.jpg
    DSCN0630.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 203
Back