Hard Tail comfort

Register

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Thinking about hard tailing a 650 and was wondering how they ride? You always hear jokes about blood in pee and kidney damage but was wondering how they really ride. Never had the chance to ride one. Closest thing is my hardtail mountain bike. Bike is not bad at all on trails or street.

This has been said before, but take your shocks off and replace them with some solid steel bars and take it for a spin and see what you think.

I rode this for the 2 months I had it on the road before selling it.

Bobber%208.jpg

It wasn't that bad. It is a little more harsh than a softy but it's not too too bad and I weigh 300 pounds.

It's definitely different. Not for everyone. Rough, yes, it can be over harsh bumps, but for me, I love being able to feel the road without suspension. I'm glad I hardtailed mine. There's something very special about it, hard to explain. I also have no speedo or tach. (or signals or horn for that matter). I'm no noob either. 43 years old and have been riding since I was 14. I guess you could say it's a lot like riding a dirtbike, strangely enough. Very pure, for lack of a better description. You have a different focus. My last streetbike was a Ninja 750. Great machine. Did what you asked, and more. F'n thing ran 11 second quarters by accident. But somehow, not connected to you. I don't know, the chop works for me I guess..By far my favorite bike I've owned. BTW, removing your shocks isn't the same at all. Design is totally different, wheelbase etc. If you're into bicycles, like me, it's subtle, like the difference between a carbon frame and an aluminum frame. Or my favorite, chromoly steel. Steel is real.

Attachments

• rsz_bike_done_009 gray.jpg
    rsz_bike_done_009 gray.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 362
Like tech said, replacing your shocks with struts is alot different. Strutted bikes ride harsher than hardtails....

I have ridden severl hardtail. Spring length and rebound rate make a huge difference. but even with great springs it will be harsher than a bike with suspension. I cant ride one very far without suspension. I have to have suspension, but its a personal thing and varies by what you want your bike to do. Around town and shirt hops or riding it or longer hauls . How much your butt/kidneys can take. its all preference though. i like the look of some of the hardtails, but I know they are not for me personally.

I use two shocks from a mountain bike for my seat suspension. Doesn't look as cool as the chrome springs but my back takes less of a pounding on the long rides.

I love it. it is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be... now granted it is not a softy. I had everyone tell me im crazy, but i ride my bike daily its fun as heck. I say go for it. my piece of advise is dont get a cheap seat

Easy on the age. I am only 37 and my hardtail days are over.

I have two discs fused together in my lower back and zero ass-fat, so my back hurts anyway, and there is no natural cushion. That being said it is all a matter of how much you plan on riding really. Back in the day I would ride 500 miles at a stretch and have done so on a rigid. I've also done stretches of 300 plus miles one day after another for a couple of weeks on a rigid without any real breaks in between. I wouldn't do it now, and I bet most guys wouldn't ever want to.
The way Tech talks about riding, I can see him doing it. In the end it comes down to a feeling more than anything. How connected are you to riding and the road? Anyone who hasn't done at least 300 miles in a day more than once or a couple hundred miles a day for 4 or 5 days straight on a hardtail has no real practical experience with what it means to really ride a rigid. Barhopping, or driving it to work and back doesn't count. I'm not being disrespectful. I appreciate that if it's what you're into, but it's an entirely different animal. Of course, if you're only going to ride it for a half-hour at a stretch, you'll be fine and that's your answer.
I still have the first rigid I built. I don't ride it much anymore because I still like long runs; as they say, "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." I'm a pussy. I like a little cushion and good shock absorption. Then again, there is something about being on a stripped down rigid with not much more than the frame, wheels and big twin rumbling in my guts... but that could also be nostalgia talking.

So, the ass-hat has no ass-fat? Say that 10 times fast. Thanks for the kind words, but I'm afraid my 500 mile days are behind me as well. I lack the ass-fat too. Have you seen my seat?

If official! Hardtails are bad for the back. I went to pick up my hardtail from my welder and blew out my back loading it in the truck. :( just another set back in my progress.

I have ridden hardtail bikes for most of my life. My second bike, which I still own, is a 1950 Indian Arrow, with a hard tail frame. It has a special Indian buddy seat with about 3 inches of hard foam, 1 inch of softer foam, but no springs. It is actually a pretty comfortable bike to ride, and it handles the best of any bike I have even owned. My 1950 Harley has the original wishbone frame and pogo seat, and, because of that seat, is very comfortable, more than most modern bikes, and handles very well also. The important thing for comfort is to figure out the best seat for your particular bike. As for handling. I have found I preferred hardtail handling, but I realize that others feel differrently. It's really a matter of taste.

Back