Harley Davidson's woes

hamamatsu

Retired loafer
Reaction score
Barbarians by the Bikes

The snowbanks have melted here in the northeast, Daylight Savings Time has begun, and the black leather crowd is dragging their Harley-Davidson motorcycles from their winter storage. I have yet to see a robin, but it is mid-March and it looks like a typical spring in upstate New York.

Although all appears normal for Harley-Davidson riders, it doesn't appear that things are even remotely so back in Harley's corporate headquarters at 3700 W. Juneau Avenue in Milwaukee. The past 12 months have been disastrous for the once-proud icon. Declining numbers and poor stock performance have been the rule.

The sudden outright closing of Buell Motorcycle Company, one of H-D's smaller divisions, has left sportbike enthusiasts frustrated and angry. Possible plant relocation and layoffs continue to wreak havoc on The Motor Company's passionate workforce, the same workforce who recently had to swallow the bitter pill of finding that its new company CEO didn't own a motorcycle.

Ironically, all these issues appear to be minor compared to the latest scuttlebutt about America's oldest motorcycle manufacturer. A couple of days ago different news outlets printed stories that Harley-Davidson may be subject to a leveraged buyout, and sources pointed to Kohlberg, Kravis & Roberts (KKR) Company's Private Equity Group as the possible purchaser. Although they have neither confirmed nor denied the rumors, KKR's own website touts the fact that they have secured $59.3 billion in funding to support their acquisitions over the last three decades.

KKR's holdings are exceptionally diverse in both location and business scope, so much so that I wouldn't feel comfortable simply dismissing the rumor as wild speculation - like I did in 2007 when the rumor of a Harley takeover by Honda was making the news. I will, however, go on record to state that I think there might be more than a bit of misguided truth to the rumor this time.

Truth? I think so. It's no secret that Harley-Davidson is struggling. Demand for the company's heavyweight cruiser motorcycles began waning in 2003. Management continued to grow production and push dealers to build monstrous new facilities by spouting a rearward-facing rationale that looked at past growth instead of current demand. Harley-Davidson company leaders appeared to pay more attention to the trading value of The Motor Company's stock price than former CEO Jeff Bluestein's goal of "making one less motorcycle than customers want."

Today, production of motorcycles is roughly half of what it was less than 5 years ago, dealerships across the country are closing their doors and last year company made news by taking out a pair of $300 million loans (at 15% interest!) to keep operating Harley-Davidson Financial Services, its consumer finance subdivision.

These loans (or more specifically, one of the loans) are what is causing me to use the word "misguided" above. One of the sources of funding is none other than investment guru Warren Buffet, the famously-frugal billionaire that is reportedly one of the three richest men in the world.

Through Berkshire Hathaway, the company Buffet controls, H-D secured a 5-year loan in exchange for $300 million in senior unsecured notes issued by the Milwaukee icon. (The other $300 million loan came from Davis Selected Advisers, LP.) Instead of KKR, I think Berkshire Hathaway might be the true suitor.

Berkshire Hathaway is well-known for the staggering stock price of its class A stock (I just checked and found it at $123,458 per single share) and the fact that Warren Buffet, its CEO, has an annual salary of only $100,000. The company is exceptionally successful and its growth is often attributed to the Buffet's broad understanding of business.

Although Berkshire Hathaway is known for its investment in companies like Coca-Cola, Wells Fargo, and American Express, this has little to do with the Harley situation. A lesser known (but far more important) side of Berkshire Hathaway is the "private" side of the company that owns many of America's best known brands. GEICO, Dairy Queen, Benjamin Moore, and Fruit of the Loom are just some of the almost 40 companies that are wholly owned by Berkshire Hathaway. Last year, Berkshire Hathaway began acquisitions of the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corporation (yes, the entire railroad!) and it completed the process last month.

I may be wrong, but my guess is that Buffet and his staff began looking at the financials of Harley-Davidson as part of their research into the viability of making the $300 million loan. Once the motorcycle manufacturer's financials were on the Nebraska-based firm's radar, more studying took place. While Harley-Davidson cut its costs and secured labor concessions, capital markets loosened up a bit and suddenly the company looks like an appealing investment.

I strongly support this acquisition. I believe that the once-strong Harley-Davidson would further diversify Berkshire Hathaway's amazing portfolio, strengthening both organizations. Having Harley-Davidson leaders manage the motorcycle business instead of their stock price would provide a much-needed focus on the 4th floor of Juneau Avenue, hopefully pushing Harley toward shorter new model development times and updated traditional styling that remains true to The Motor Company's roots but gives riders a fresh reason to go into dealers' showrooms (look no further than the new Ford Mustang, Chevy Camaro and Dodge Challenger).

Taking the company private would remove the enormous distraction of dealing with quarterly public reports, financial media presentations that are more scrutinized than Harley's new model presentations, and future shareholder lawsuits brought by lawyers with nothing better to do. The only downside? That would be for Harley's CEO Keith Wandell, who reportedly was paid $6.4 million dollars for 8 months of work in 2009. Could 2010 be the year of the $6.3 million pay cut so he isn't paid more than his boss?

Todd B Wilson is a former Harley-Davidson Motor Company employee and a co-host of the nationally-syndicated Motorcycle Radio Network. The show airs weekly on radio stations and digital cable and satellite TV music channels across the USA; Podcasts of the show are available on iTunes, Zune and UltimateMotorCycling.com and MotorcycleRadioNetwork.com.

Lets hope The Motor Company weathers the storm. Maybe a new ownership will pull production and prices in line with the rest of the motorcycle industry. Harley's policy of "making one less motorcycle than the customer wants" really hurt the Motor company back in the day when everyone including myself wanted one. I was told that if I wanted a Pearl White Sportster, I'd have to put a deposit of $500.00 down and wait 3 months for delivery. If the bike came into the dealer in black instead of Pearl White, I had the choice of taking the black one or getting my deposit back.

I walked out and bought a new Yamaha the same day.

Hamamatsu

- personally i think if HD is going to survive, the restructuring and downsize necessary will produce a totally different company and product to what we see today...it has survived so far by riding a wave of credit the likes of which we wont see again until collective memories have forgotten the stress that is yet to come...its market is rapidly shrinking, its dealer network has effectively been bankrupted, and is currently being dispersed, by an ingenuous vision
- investors and creditors are fully aware they will not get all their money back...even Berkshire will be aware that its really too early to move although their connections through Goldman Suchs will probably mean the taxpayer will be footing the bill, patriotism pays eh

- i ride yamaha too, i know it will still be running tomorrow

I'm pulling for them. I know this sounds horrible, but I love to see what comes out of companies that are struggling. They are much more willing to experiment and not just go with the what is comfortable. So we'll see :D

- the 5.1 billion of recievables is hurting badly-thats what happens when a manufacturer of 2 wheel steroids thinks its a bank...of course this is also what berkshire wants to get its hands on and trade them to the fed for taxpayers dollars-take the money and run
- the brand wont then get the finance to experiment and will try to present a trimmed version of current production models...wont work, the product is too expensive and the target markets have more pressing problems coming their way

if I may... could be the Jagermeister talking but.... If harley wants to be around any lomger. they need to concentrate and really push the V-rod, and keep one style bagger, one style sporty. Cut back on all the different models, cuz, lets face it, those part to make the the option outted bikes possible can be bought..
I offended a harley ridder at work when I commented" when wil Harley realize that the push rod engine is an antiquated , 1800 century, horsepower robbing system, why havent they pushed the V-rod harder." Now I know you loyall harley guy are thinking , What the hell does this angus know, but, I must say, A compact motor(tranny,overhead cam, on one unit) seams alot more sense to me than a pushrod, external tranny. If you are reading this, than u have already agreed by using the 650 as a toy for a fun little chopper biuld. easy enuf right? hard tail a registerable neck, and throw a motor in it..
Harley needs to step up to the 21'st century, and cut back like the rest of us.
I dont want to see anothe AMF episode, and I really dig the older harleys, but, c'mon. What other choice do they have if they dont look at other manufactureres, and look to cut backs.

it may be my Jameson speaking, but this thread is entirely too cogent and reasonable. Can i get a "i hate harley's" up in this bitch? :)

i wouldnt by one, but I sure have entered alot of raffles for one.
is that close enuf sundie?

I share a lot of sentiments here. HD has no entry level bike to allow people to get involved. The Buel blast was a joke and it wasn't a V twin and the 883 is too expensive for a starter bike. Dealers are using Honda Rebels for training. Why not a bike like the Virago 535 as an entry to the brand? Price it competively and let the customer option it out and they'd get the bigger buck in the end.

THe VRod engine is awesome, but the Ox collar radiator shroud needs some fine tuning and trimming. Another strategy to get the hard liners out of the pushrod A/C mentality is to make a cruiser ala Sporster and a Road King with the VR engine. Keep it looking like the rest of the 1903styled bikes and start letting the market become aware of the LC engine and its benefits. As some here said lose the rearward focus.

What do I know I love XS650's and Moto Guzzi's

One more thought. When ever I tell people that I am a motorcyle enthusiast they always ask "what do you have a Harley?" HD must have done something right as the non biking populous thinks they are the only two wheeled bikes on the planet.

I've riden them (my brother in law and my wife's son have HD's) and I just don't get the appeal. If they were inexpensive I'd saynice bike for the money. When you consider what they weigh I'd say nice bike for the price per pound.

Enough philosophy lets get back to wrenching and riding!!!
:bike:

AAAhhhh I love Harley's, They have all drank the HD juice and spent their paychecks on parts and all the goodies Harley has puked upon those poor souls. Yes I drank the juice once (2004 HD Deuce that came with a car sized payment) I sold it due to boredum of the bike and didnt buy into the hype. I now have built and ride a 78 xs650 that I have a friggin blast on and it cost me about $3000 bucks to build. No more juice for me.:bike:

Back